Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cat comparisons

Cat comparisons

What is the difference between the Cat 3208 320hp and the 3208 375hp? Piston size? Are both engines dimensionally the same? I'm looking at these rebuilds and wondering what will fit. These prices seem to be right.

Also...someone showed me a website of 330B cummins conversions. What's up with these conversions? Are they legit?

I also was offered an older 210hp cummins V504 with gears for possibly a really reasonable offer. I'm guessing that 210hp may be too small of an engine. Can you tweek these engines to make them put out at least 330hp? I'm thinking they may be a bit heavy compared to some of my other choices.

Re: Cat comparisons

You might find this link useful.

http://www.goldcoastpower.com/brochures.cfm

3. Re: Cat comparisons

Jack,

I had a couple questions about some 3208's and received some answers here:

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5631

All of the 3208 engines have the same displacement. They are 636 cu. in. or 10.4 liters. The horsepower difference depends on whether it is naturally aspirated, turbocharged or turbocharged and aftercooled. The weight is approximately 2000 to 2200 lb depending on configuration.

The 150 bhp – 210 bhp are naturally aspirated. The 215 bhp – 320 bhp are turbocharged only. The 355 bhp – 450 bhp (there are lower hp commercial rated TAs) are turbocharged and aftercooled. Within the TA group, there are a couple of different aftercoolers that will change the height dimension.

Here are some ballpark dimensions:

Naturally aspirated
    Length from the rear face of the flywheel housing to the front of the expansion tank – 42.75”
    Width – 37.5
    Height from crankshaft centerline to the top of the expansion tank – 21”
    Distance from the crankshaft centerline to the bottom of the oil pan – 13”

Turbocharged
    Length from the rear face of the flywheel housing to the front of the expansion tank – 42.75”
    Width – 37.5"
    Height from crankshaft centerline to the top of the turbocharger – 26”

Turbocharged aftercooled (375 bhp)
    Width – 37.5"
    Height from crankshaft centerline to the top of the aftercooler – 27”

Hope this helps,

Blaine
    Last edited by Blaine Thorpe; 03-23-2007 at 09:44 PM.

I've been told (by what I consider reliable sources) that 3208s are good performers and trustworthy up to and including 375hp. Above that they are less reliable. You would get good performance at that rating, though, I would think. The 32 is not a particularly heavy boat and they have a lot of torque.

6. Re: Cat comparisons

375s are ok, 320s are great in terms of longevity.

Be aware that these are parent-bore engines (no sleeves) - you CAN bore them but they have to come out of the boat to do it properly. An "inframe" is pretty much out of the question if you blow one up - its more like a gas engine overhaul in terms of reworking the cylinders.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

What do you thing a 320hp 3208 would do for my 32ft'er versus a 375hp 32ft'er. Which would be the best performance/efficient choice? Obvious that more power is better but sometimes you burn more fuel...I don't want to do this and find out for a small bit more I can get a lot better performance...yet I don't want an engine that is so stoked up that she blows from routine use. Know what I mean? Maybe a 375hp would not fit?

I would have to ask this rebuilder. I do not know if they are sleaved or rebored. I will have to ask. He does a lot of engines by the looks of his web page.

Jim...I know you needed engines....Why did you go for the Cummins, simply the good deal back then or is there something functionally better? How did your boat perform with the cats? Would you have bought another set if Cummins did not have the deal?
    Last edited by Jackman; 03-24-2007 at 07:40 AM.

Watch the weight of the engines. The 3208s Cats will weigh significantly more than the gas engines you have now.

Have you talked to Slane or repower folks?

I know the 3208 was an option from the factory with this boat. I have called hatteras and spoke with them but not slane as of yet.

Thanks Blaine, Starman and Capt Erich....very helpful references. Who wants to make this decision for me.....my brain's fried from this!
    Last edited by Jackman; 03-24-2007 at 08:01 AM.

Jackman, have you looked in the "Brochures" section. There they have a link to a boating article of the 32 express with 3208 T's 300hp and 31.7mph. In the article they said Hatteras tweaked it and got the boat to go 35 mph. I suspect the 375's would ad 3 mph.