Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Boat Security

Re: Boat Security

Motion sensors are not a problem,you just have to adjust the sensitivity on them. They also can be programmed out easily and put in other zones so they are only on at the dock,depending on how the alarm is armed. We use ours while on the hook alot.................................Pat

I agree with Charlie. Liveaboards are the answer. Only bad part here in the Sarasota/Bradenton area, very few facilities allow liveaboards any more. Lived on our last boat at Marina Jacks a few years back, bought the new boat last year, MJ no longer takes liveaboards. They say some kind of legal mumbo jumbo with the state. Yeah, Right. Only security job I know of that you pay them for the opportunity.

tim haley

I understand no one Lives Aboard anymore in Florida, they are now Cruising (cruisers) and therefore always in transit.

Also, I agree with the dogs and Live Aboards in the Marina being the best. We personally do not allow anyone in that we don't know. Actually got the owner of the sailing school here pissed at me one day when I stated that how I did not know one of his students(?) I was not opening the gate for him. LOL what an ass. I knew him but not the guys rattling the gate.

Noel
    Living Aboard in NYC/NJ and it is getting warmer too
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

Before I took my boat to S. FL, this past fall, I bought one of those battery-powered motion detector chime/alarms and installed (mounted on velcro) at eye-level on the entertainment cabinet, under the, facing the salon door. I also put on the WARNING window decals on the door, for all to see.

I kept the boat on the Harborage /Indian River, where there can be consideral movement in a strong south wind. The alarm never went off accidently, only when you slid the door halfway open. Ear-piecingly loud. I also used it for on-board security, activating it on to monitor the rear of the cabin, while I slept forward. The bateries were changed out every other month. It was cheap ($25), quick and reliable.
    Gregg Combos
    AWOL, Inc. www.1866myconex.com

I have a similar system to that which Gregg uses. Mine came from Radio Shack and is a motion detector. Can be set to either chime or alarm (loud shrill). I have it set up on the aft deck. Has a hand held remote to turn OFF and ON (Turns OFF long enough to enter the code). Works great as anyone who climbs the dock steps will set it off. When at anchor I use the "chime" function at night. Only drawback is that the batteries only last about 4-6 weeks ... and when they get weak and need to be replaced the alarm goes off and I get a call from the marina office that my alarm is going off.

The unit uses 4 AA batteries. Does anyone know of a way to convert the house 12 volts to power this alarm?

Try using AA Nicad batteries. They are supposed to last much longer in electronics. All the big "home retail" stores generally have 'em.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."