Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Do you know this boat?

If any one has any information (good, bad or otherwise) about the 1972 YF listed below I would appreciate it. I am looking at making an offer on the boat in the next couple of days.
    Boat is named the Madd Hatter.
    Previous names were The Happy Camper and Happy Hour.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=64250&url=

Feel free to e-mail or PM any information you might have.

Thanks,
    Beachcomber

Re: Do you know this boat?

This boat has been discussed here before. If you do a search, you may find it. As I recall, two people from this forum were both interested in it at the same time. I'm sure they could tell you why neither of them ended up purchasing her.

Is this the one:

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...ght=louisville
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I don't know the boat at all but the Yachtworld specs show a cruise speed of 14 and a max speed of 16 on 350HP 8V71 naturals. Since that's pretty much impossible, I'd draw some pretty harsh conclusions on how the boat is being represented by the owner and broker.

Yup-
    I looked at this boat when I was looking at buying an older hatt. I found it to be one of the worse condition of all the hatts I looked at. It looks great in the pictures and they have done some interior updating but had some soft spots in the deck as I recall, definitely had leaking windows everywhere, exterior paint was in poor condition, and port engine smoked pretty good- didn't get in to it enough to determine why. One thing is for sure...I was really glad I just happened to go check the boat out on a rainy day!

No bow pulpit either.

Here is a link to the thread where we discussed this boat:
    http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4697
    Last edited by Woodsong; 03-17-2007 at 07:55 PM.

5. Re: Do you know this boat?

I would say that my 48 Yf was in the same condition as this one, I paid $45,000 for it, the hull value is $100K, so that is what you are paying for, the rest of it is free. Unless you want a real project boat keep looking. If you are like me and the 48 YF has your ideal layout, then you buy it spend the money to get the boat to pristine condition and don't look back. A project of this magnitude takes planning and time. You will also need a good location to put the boat where the work can be done. It will take people willing to work with you that do quality work and charge fair prices for the work. Finding this situation will be the most challenging thing you do. Take a look at the website on my signature. If you decide this is what you want to do, my project will be finished in the next couple of months and you can bring it here.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

Chris, I liked your pictures on your website. We are hoping to get an older Hatt and do minor restorations ourselves. Hubby is a mech. engineer, so we are very used to DIYs...But being able to see pics that show resorations has helped us to viusalize just what may possible in a boat. By the way..we live in Morehead City, so we are kinda "neighbors"...until we make departure for FL. in a year or so..."Go Heels"

7. Re: Do you know this boat?

The boat is in Sneads Ferry if you want to see it in person. We may drive down this afternoon. You can come look at it when ever you come for a visit. I live 2 hours from the boat. Starman is there during the week working on it. The pictures do not tell the whole story and the project is further along too. Need to play catch up on the pictures.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

8. Re: Do you know this boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber
    If any one has any information (good, bad or otherwise) about the 1972 YF listed below I would appreciate it. I am looking at making an offer on the boat in the next couple of days.
    Boat is named the Madd Hatter.
    Previous names were The Happy Camper and Happy Hour.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=64250&url=

Feel free to e-mail or PM any information you might have.

Thanks,
    Beachcomber

Many times the delams on the decks are not that bad to repair. We had some issues on Boss Lady that were taken care of.

Decide what it would cost for a new or "slightly used" 58' and figure what you may save to do a refurb, and how much you can put into the project.

I am confident you would save over 800k, and your 58' would look as nice as anything coming off the line today, even with some new engines.

That's why the majority of my work is in the refurb end of this business.