Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dwaynec Guest

Rubrails and Window Frames

As spring gets warmer I am thinking of things I can do to make our boat look better than it does now. Two things strike me as needing attention.

One is the rubrails. Ours are painted and in need of attention from doing their job. While in Bradenton this last winter I saw another 48 yatchfish like ours and its rail were not painted. Which is the norm, painted or unpainted?

The second is the windowframes. Again ours are painted, but the paint is flaking off in places. They seem to be made of a brass alloy by their color. Are they normally painted or not?

Thanks.
    Dwayne

Nonchalant1 Guest
    Rubrails are normally just polished stainless steel.
    Window frames are typically anodized or painted aluminum.

dwaynec Guest

More work

to fill my empty hours. At least it looks like the previous owners who painted the boat (poorly) only put one coat on the rails and no window frames without using any primer. At least it should be more labor intensive than expensive. It will keep me out of the admiral's hair for a few days.

Thanks for the reply.
    Dwayne

BEC53 Guest

window frames

I had a 43DC once with painted frames that were flaking off. It was really pretty easy to remove the paint with just a razor blade. I got the edge of the blade under the paint and I could lift off large sections at a time. The end result was a much better looking boat with the original annodized frames. I hope yours proves to be as easy--Good Luck!

67HAT34C Guest

Re: window frames

pull the frames and sand blast them and paint with awlgrip system.

i used plywood cut to fit and painted white to cover the openings while frames are being done. sealed the plywood with 1/4 neoprene gasket material and screwed them in place.

Re: Rubrails and Window Frames

Like to know how your project went. We took the windows out of our 48' Yachtfish and new frames built identical to the originals with the extra step of painting and baking the anodized aluminum, it looks great but a big job. Really interested in your rub rails as that is next for me, mine are corroding.

Well, the project is not complete by an stretch of the imagination!!! While the boat was out for repainting the hull this fall, I decided it was time to tackle the rails, and leave window frames for next years project.

First thought was to remove the rails. DONT EVEN CONSIDER IT!! Each of the "screws" in the rail has a nut inside. I can't imagine how much work it would be to remove the rails, but I know that the entire inside of the boat would have to be gutted. Myself, I tried paint remover on a small section and determined that this was also not the best solution. The stripper worked just fine, on the rails AND the HULL! If I hadn't had the boat out for repainting I would still be kicking myself in derrier. My solution was to just sand the rails. I sanded with 220 and then 320 which gives them a brushed look. Next spring after the paint has had a chance to completely cure out I will buff and polish them.

While on the subject... Can you use paint stripper on anodized aluminum without damaging the anodizing? I worry about scraping for fear scratching and gouging.

Dwayne

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynec
    While on the subject... Can you use paint stripper on anodized aluminum without damaging the anodizing? I worry about scraping for fear scratching and gouging.

Dwayne

i would be interested if anyone can respond also. a prior owner painted the frames and i would like to remove it.
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

Dwaynec,

I build new window frames and get them anodized all the time. I am not 100% positive about not removing and of the anodize coating but I do not think it will harm the coating to use paint stripper on it. Stay away from the usage of wire brushes. That can and will scratch the finish. Something else to consider is the anodizing now a days seems to be different from the anodizing when Hatteras had them done. I know the plant they used is closed. I will try to remember and call the company I use and ask them. I will add to this post tomorrow.
    I have welded on aluminum on one side and the anodize on the other was not affected. The material thickness was 1/8 thick. But still I have never tried stripper. Will get back with you.

Jimmy Watts

Dwaynec,
    I have learned something new as far as anodizing goes. The company I work with recommends NOT using a paint stripper on anodized aluminum. They say the acidic in the stripper will most likely attack the coating. They also said the best thing to do might be to contact a paint store and get their recommendations. Hope this helps. Jimmy Watts