Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Extended Life Coolant

In Feb. 2004 (Nobody You Know) engines were flushed and refilled with Dexcool Extended Life Coolant. While I'm sure the running time per year is way under the life of the coolant a Freightliner dealer and a CAT dealer (not the same) advise that the coolant is good for 5 years.

The litmus strip test withstanding, think I'll be OK to drain and flush in 4 years?
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Re: Extended Life Coolant

5 years is what the life is supposed to be. I will add that some of the 3208s have had problems with the ELC. Mostly the o rings on the water sleeve and the silicone beads on the head gaskets. Personally I don't use it.

This issue has posted before...my answer is, absolutely DO NOT use Dexcool It will actually void the warranty of some new diesels. It does not protect as quickly or as well as the good ole' green ethlene glycol.

If you get entrained air in your systems, the Dexcool will turn to a brown mud, and I do mean mud in your system. Worse yet, you may not be able to see it internally and could be causing damage without knowing it. Unless your system is specifically designed for Dexcool, do not use it. Get it out now.

I finally have my Buick 5.7L V8 cleaned out of this stuff...took 2.5 years and about 15 flushes, not including 3 back flushes of the heater core, which was removed twice. One hose was completely occluded with mud. Oh yes, I did convert back the the green stuff. P.s., my other Buick (Park Ave) is designed for the Dexcool and no problems in 160k miles.

If you are running a DD, then use their branded coolant, if at all possible.

Other brands, I would use their recommended coolant.

my 2cw...
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

4. Re: Extended Life Coolant

I don't do fancy coolants on old engines.

Too many horror stories.....
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

I haven't used ELC myself, but I have seen enough in other applications that tell me not to use it. If there is any possible leak path, ELC will find it. Even on newer engines. Standard (non-ELC) coolant should be good for three years .... just in time to do a check on all of the cooling system hoses. Changing coolant at three years is not that expensive.

Blaine

Thanks Blaine. Clever name for a Hatt!

What engines are you running?

What antifreeze/coolant?

Regards,
    Last edited by (Nobody You Know); 03-14-2007 at 09:17 PM. Reason: additional info
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Mine are rated are 260 BHP @ 2800 RPM. They started life as 210 BHP, but someone put turbos on them some time ago.

I am using a 50/50 mix Cat DEAC (Diesel Engine Antifreeze Coolant) and distilled water. The gallon container part numbers are 8C3684. It has a life of three years or longer hours than I will ever get in three years.

I am also using all Cat oils, transmission and engine and all Cat filters. They really aren't that much more expensive.

Blaine

I've not heard that the CAT ELC turns to mud, but I HAVE heard that it leaks out through hose connections that would not allow standard AF to leak. I have had good results out of regular AF and distilled water. I change it every two years. What I DID have trouble with was the seawater side of the HE, which would clog up now and again. I think boats that get used occasionally actually have more cooling system issues than boats that are run in charter often. Maybe the ELC is a plus for boats that sit around.

I don't know what Cummins engines come filled with, we'll see what they say...

I've not heard that the CAT ELC turns to mud, but I HAVE heard that it leaks out through hose connections that would not allow standard AF to leak. I have had good results out of regular AF and distilled water. I change it every two years. What I DID have trouble with was the seawater side of the HE, which would clog up now and again. I think boats that get used occasionally actually have more cooling system issues than boats that are run in charter often. Maybe the ELC is a plus for boats that sit around.

I don't know what Cummins engines come filled with, we'll see what they say
    It was Dexcool that he said will turn to Mud...
    I also have not heard anything good about Dexcool I would drain that stuff out.....

Jim the Cummins come dry but they want Fleetguard in there. But Athens says the Bs are not as critical as other diesels with AF, there are a few we can use.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>