Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

How do I make it go away?

After digesting many good pointers on going about changing out the coolant in my engines I'm haveing a really tough problem trying to find out what is the best way to properly dispose of old engine coolant. (I thought this was mentioned in the past and did a "search" on old Threads).

I have made some 12+ phone calls to auto parts stores, tire dealers, county agencies and the best thing yet I have come up with is to soak it in a tub of oil absorbant untill it drys, then take it to the landfill (yea! 25 gallons of coolant + the ginny and I'm gonna find a way to do this at a yacht club. LOL).

I want to be a good citizen but this is damn frustrating.

What sayeth? Flush it down the toilet?

Help!
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

2. Re: How do I make it go away?

Most "quicklube" places should take it. They recycle the stuff and get PAID for the used, so I can't imagine why they wouldn't want it.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Re: How do I make it go away?

The solution to pollution is dilution. At our old coal fired power plant we put E Glcol, oils and solvents on the coal pile. That was done by permit in Chicago no less ! Oil change places should take it. When I do my engines and generator, about 30 plus gallons, they have no problem. They get about 25 cents per gallon for the oil. I do buy my Rotella from them. I just picked up 7 cases of 6- 1 gallon jugs for 424.79 or about $10.12 per gallon or $2.53 a quart.. Maybe not the best, but only a phone call away !! 35 gallon barrels are about $8 a gallon, but the logistics suck. Weight, pumps, and disposal problems dissuaded me. ws

I found one!

A quick lube (oil change) place that is. Said they would take it.

Thanks Karl and Vachtsmanvill
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

It was my understanding that any place that sells antifreeze must take old antifreeze back just as anyplace that sells oil must do the same. I thought that was a law nation wide - maybe not. It is the law in NY.

I've been able to give hundreds of gallons of used coolant to U.S. Filter over the past decade ("give" meaning no cost to my shipyard). I don't know for sure, but have always presumed that they recycle the stuff. You may want to see if they have an office in your area and give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP
    It was my understanding that any place that sells antifreeze must take old antifreeze back just as anyplace that sells oil must do the same. I thought that was a law nation wide - maybe not. It is the law in NY.
    Not true in MI. But for used oil there is big market. At one time we were paying to get rid of it. Now we have people knocking on our door with cash in hand to take it. Most of them have furnaces that burn waste oil.

Antifreeze is another story. My oil supplier will take it, but they want it separare from the oil. We used to put it all in the waste oil drum, but now they check it when they pick it up. If it has AF in it, you pay extra for them to take it and process it.

I have also heard that some places actually "recondition" the waste oil and sell it as new. I don't know if this is true, but many of the oil salemen claim that their competitors sell a house brand that is essentially used oil that has been processed. Scary thought.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY
    Not true in MI. But for used oil there is big market. At one time we were paying to get rid of it. Now we have people knocking on our door with cash in hand to take it. Most of them have furnaces that burn waste oil.

Antifreeze is another story. My oil supplier will take it, but they want it separare from the oil. We used to put it all in the waste oil drum, but now they check it when they pick it up. If it has AF in it, you pay extra for them to take it and process it.
    Re: antifreeze, not true in the Carolinas too (but bravo for NY). After many phone calls today I finally - after Karl's and YB's advice - found a quick lube place that will take it.

Guys, it's a sad thing when motorist and boaters alike - and do-it-yourselfers like us - are expected to obey the law when it comes to the disposal of toxic waste, but as it applies to a very common and abundant product like antifreeze (aka coolant) we are sorely lacking any gov. facilitation to properly dispose of same.

And therefore you know where it winds up? I'll gie you a clue, your boat floats in it.
    Capt'n Bill