Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
  1. Re: How Long Did It Take To Restore Your Hatt?

Dang Thudddd, that polish express cruiser makes ole' Freebird look mighty good!

I did notice one picture which I assume to be of the ceiling which is covered in wood with recessed lighting. That is exactly what I had envisioned doing with my 58 along with matching wood flooring in the upper salon.

I hate to sound critical, but why the heck did you cut the top off that old Classic? To each his own, but I kinda like the look of the boat with the hardtop there myself. Maybe you just have a better imagination than I do as to how you view they way she'll look when you transform her from a caterpillar to a butterfly.

Looks like you may end up winning the Freebird Associated Restoration Tournament trophy with that project.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

Re: How Long Did It Take To Restore Your Hatt?

Hey Bird! Glad to see you back on the forum. Hope all is well, at least as well as expected. Hope to see you down this way again soon. The 58 Hatt you looked at is now tendered right in front of mine. Three Hatts lined up together! Want to make it 4? I think we could arrange it!

3. Re: How Long Did It Take To Restore Your Hatt?

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Mayer
    Hey Bird! Glad to see you back on the forum. Hope all is well, at least as well as expected. Hope to see you down this way again soon. The 58 Hatt you looked at is now tendered right in front of mine. Three Hatts lined up together! Want to make it 4? I think we could arrange it!
    Hey Norm! Good to be home in more ways than one!

All is well, but I never know what to expect these daze and still keep a suitcase packed just in case! So Dan and Sharon are in line with you now? Why didn't you line the Hatts up by length starting with yours? Now you have to sit and look at that big Hatt which is blocking your view of the bay! Is the 41DC I saw one of the three in a row now? What happened to the nice folks with the trawler behind you? PM if you want to keep the rest of the guys from sharing. Either that or give me a call.

I came by your marina on the way back up from Miami, but all of you were gone. I'll be back down again soon though, and yes, see if you can arrange to put me in front of Dan and Sharon! Say "hey" to Miss Sue, is she still running around too?
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

I hate to sound critical, but why the heck did you cut the top off that old Classic? To each his own, but I kinda like the look of the boat with the hardtop there myself. Maybe you just have a better imagination than I do as to how you view they way she'll look when you transform her from a caterpillar to a butterfly.
    Well maybe its his Imagination or he just Drinks a lot more of the Goose, Juice you don't get the nickname Thudddd for no reason

I saw the sketch of the lay out it will be pretty cool when done!!!!
    I don't know if you ever finished digging it out of the snow yet
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Dan, not yet, other issues that I think I mentioned. If not and you want the low down give a ring a ding.

Bad bird. before it was cut off all the headliner was done over in white pine beadboard that I put 6 coats of thompsons water seal on(top and bottom) I had about 60 of those halogen puck lites thru out, on dimmers. Neat effect. as the wood got older it became a nice golden color.

Far as the express plan. We got lots of stupid people up here(myself included, i think), so it's tuff to find crew. Xpress is easier for me to run with 1 crew member. The river that I dock in has a 9knt current coming and going, so its a joy when the wind kicks in. stupid crew = me haveing to wind the fish, gaff the fish, and run the boat(schooly blue fin tuna) tuff to do from a flybridge.
    after I looked into selling the hatt (figured 50-70k) and if I was willing to throw even another 100k(which I wasn't) I'd have some claped out hunk of crap that I'd have to restore anyhow. Sooooooooo after surfing the net, talking to people, stealing ideas at the liquerdale show and wasting wayyyyyyyy to much of Tom Slanes time I came up with a budget, a plan, and a time line, as well as realistic expectations of how much I'd get done every fall and winter. this year I figure to be back in the water, pretty much running just 12v with the bulkheads and walls replaced, and the new power and decks, but almost no finish. I guess you'd call it "charter ready" sometime in July. kathi says as long as the head works she'll be ok with it.
    The other thing, almost all my systems were less than 3 years old cause I replaced everything when I first got her, so most of the salvage is reusable, a/c, head, stove, wire , fuse pannels, bla bla bla

6. Re: How Long Did It Take To Restore Your Hatt?

It's kinda like the IRAQ war... It'll be finished when it's finished and we have had someone from dang near every country come in and try to mess it up!

Just had to chime in...

Quote Originally Posted by rswirtz View Post
    I doubt anyone sits back and says, "ahhhh, all done!" From what I can tell, being a newbie Hatt owner, refurbs never have an end date, always something to do........