Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
  1. Re: How Long Did It Take To Restore Your Hatt?

ROFLOL I suppose a surface runner while so beautifully decorated and customized just didn't float your boat!!

Love you too Willie!!!
    Last edited by Freebird; 03-11-2007 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Had to profess love for YottsmanWillie!
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

Re: How Long Did It Take To Restore Your Hatt?

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY
    I restore mine about once a week and it takes about an hour. The only thing you need is a hose, some soap and a brush.
    I do Unity twice weekly because Sky made me paranoid about salt water. Either Steve,(my son), or I wash the entire boat every time we come back from using it. On the trip from Detroit to Miami, I washed it as soon as I had it tied up for the evening. I did spend 3 years tweaking the boat after we bought it. I sure wouldn't call any of that a restoration, as I use that term to refer to a complete re-build of an otherwise unusable boat.

3. Re: How Long Did It Take To Restore Your Hatt?

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard Rupp
    I do Unity twice weekly because Sky made me paranoid about salt water...
    Are you talking about your Admiral or your boat?

I know that Sky has already made you paranoid, and I hope I don't, but this thread was about asking how long it took to restore your boat, not how long it takes to wash one, especially if you bought it in a condition that did not require restoration.

Look out Pascal and Karl, I'm after your jobs!

Sorry if it sounded like I was fussing at you Maynard.
    Last edited by Freebird; 03-11-2007 at 10:33 AM.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

Although all the boats I buy are always considered "mint" by the broker/seller, It takes me 5 years to get them up to" standard". But in all truth it never ends or is it ever done.

Randy, I have a 58 that I am refreshing but I would not quite call it a restoration. Although I am not working on it every day, I do get things done on a regular basis. I bought a boat that was mechanically sound and I have done the servicing and maintenance required to maintain her excellent mechanical condition. Other than that I've been doing mostly cosmetic updates like granite countertops w/SS undermount sink in galley, all new appliances and washer/dryer, leather sofa, re-covered chairs, flat-screen LCD tv's, etc.

I am now tackling updating the electronics with new 64 mile Furuno 10.4" NavNet Vx2 radar, Garmin 4212 Plotter, Seatel Coastal 24 Sat TV, Cellular amplifier/antenna system and WiFi antenna system. I'll be installing a watermaker and a new larger swim platform from Slane Marine next month as well. After (IF) all this is done by May we plan to cruise to the Bahamas for June and July, making it back home for August 1. Then the plans for a complete Awlgrip paint job will hopefully begin to materialize. I bought the boat in summer '05 and it should be pretty much "done" by summer '08 which will be 3 years.

With respect to your question, realistically if I were to stick with it and work on the boat more religiously I would think that I could have gotten all this done in a year or so. I think it all depends on the extent of the refit and the amount of time devoted to moving the project forward.

I hope this somewhat answers your question.
    Last edited by ThirdHatt; 03-11-2007 at 12:25 PM.

Maybe Marine Max would list this... ws

Smile Re: How Long Did It Take To Restore Your Hatt?

After 4 1/2 years of ownership, I'm still working and improving my 53 Classic.
    Over that time I've redone the bottom with a complete blister repair and water barrier job; complete galley remodel with all new appliances, flooring, countertops, lighting, etc., and a starboard engine out of frame rebuild. Of course, the usual soft goods too; carpeting, drapes, bedspreads, saloon furniture, etc. New electronics...new icemaker on aft deck, new window glass on aft deck, rebuilt stabilizer system....repacked shafts and bearings, props re-balanced, serviced the windless, and certified the fire extinguisher system.

And oh yeah, lots of varnish work too. The next owner will get a very nice boat with most of the work done for him.

Dave

Bill,
    The flowers are a nice touch. That really sets it off. I am sure some weatherbeater white would do the trick. Was that Randys cabin?

SHHHH!! That was the nice looking 58 before the PO sent in Daisy Maids to clean up before it went on the market. Hmmm. I have intimate knowledge of the white 58'. Depending on your taste its about 33% there. I have the EXCLUSIVE listing on it!
    ( the cruddy one is/was HATT TRICK.) Everytime I'm down there I spend a day or two cleaning. Hell, Ive spent every waking spare moment up till 2 years ago working on my Roamer. --And thats since '73 ! I needed a break, thats why I bought the big guy. I figger Ive got 25 years till the dirt nap, and I hate getting bored.
    Every cabin had plastic flowers. After the sub action they still look like new (???) Divine intervention? ws

Bill, everything northwest of the plastic flowers looks pretty good to me....