Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Low Tide At The Sandbar

I haven't started a thred in along time and I figured we need a place to talk about things that stink at low tide nothing like the smell of low tide at the crack of dawn and your going fishing
    note this is not a thred for BIRD crap, but remember a bird in the hand at this forum is better than two at other forums
    maybe if anyone has some good fishing stories out there?
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

2. Re: Low Tide At The Sandbar

Might have ya' beat on that one Carl.

Some years back while working on an old trawler at Bradley Creek marina in Wilmington they were dredging. The water flow at that marina is not the best. Know one man who fell in and was sick for two weeks.

Anyways the dredging was not the problem, it was the stink of what was being dug up and then............the flies.

I was doing a lot of window work on that trawler and actually had to stop work for a few days. The flies would be thick as thieves in a jail house.

3. Re: Low Tide At The Sandbar

Carl, the water around your boat always smells the same. Maybe one day we will catch enough fish to make things a little more smelly around the filet table on your marina dock!

Either that or we could have a big chili supper at the tiki hut!
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

Re: Low Tide At The Sandbar

speaking of the filet table at the marina some tree huggers came around and surveyed the dock and said the table has got to go ? some stupid law about fish gutts in the water not alowed so no I keep my small filet table out on the edge of my cockpit to see if they dare say anything
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

5. Re: Low Tide At The Sandbar

Tree huggers with problems over a filet table on the dock?

They must be worried about flying fish in which case you should tell them to make like a tree and leave!

I can certainly see the problem with taking something from the sea and then throwing some of it back in. Maybe they should ban sharks and cuda's that fail to finish their meals and dirty up the water!
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

I remember the old days here, you used to be able to drive up on the beach and now all the old guys are trying to drive you from the beach limited access beach parking stickers, meters...
    I remember in the Keys when they passed the crazy law no fish guts in the water and then the sign over the garbage said no fish parts ? so what the f&^#k are we to do with the fish ? eat the bones and all. make jewelry with the scales? I always thought the remains where good for crabs and stuff lurking out there
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

Better yet, take the tree huggers fishing offshore! Last I heard, divers could not scrape barnacles in the Ft Myers marina. Imagine letting barnacles fall in the water. The horror.

Boy I have been absent for what,..four weeks?..Went to the Boat Show spent three weeks in Miami, my wife and I both with the flu,..but well nice vacation after all. Had a chance to talk to Randy, got T shirts from Steve, so what else can I ask?..

Water around the boat and smells...nice thread.

You know down here we can still discharge the toiletts directly overboard, so the other day I was curious of what happened when...eh..you discharged. So I warned, the moment someone has to go, say it!!, I have something to check. So after a while my son's wife yells..... CAPT'N..GOT TO GO...ok, ok, give me a chance, so I jumped overboard, mask and snorkel and from a safe distance (she is quite a big girl, you know..) watched the discharge port...all of a sudden the thumping and grinding noises warned me that something was coming, and oh yes...a cloud of number two suddenly was in front of my eyes, some bits going up, others down, tiny bits of toilett paper just floating there. And then all of a sudden, one snapper came , and then a small grouper and another snapper and another...in SECONDS, there was nothing left, the few floating stuff was taken care off by hords of bait fish we call camiguana, like small sardines,..
    So, discharges not being overabundant, (we have not so many boats), being in places were the water moves, with tides and currents, and abundant marine life I don't feel that the overboard discharge is doing any harm. In fact under the boats, be it for the shade or the protection or the FEEDING, fishes are abundant.

And oh yes, we fish them,...and eat them too....how is that for recycling?
    Miguel
    Morrocoy
    Venezuela

I know I've said this before but I find it so silly that I can't help mentioning it again. It is perfectly legal in a no discharge zone to hang your butt over the side and do whatever business you care to. However, it is illegal to do the same business in a bucket (or marine head) and then throw it in the water.

These laws are so stupid as to be beyond belief - especially with the existence of lecta sans which treat sewage so that it is CLEANER than the sewage that your local sewage plant dumps into the water every day.

Oh well, stupid as these laws seem to be, they ARE laws put in place by insightful, intelligent, and caring individuals we elected to do so - like the ones who enacted the law in Richmond VA stating it is illegal to flip a coin in a restaurant to see who pays for the coffee.

I'm sure that Richmond lawmakers have eliminated the horrendous and dastardly practice of in-resturant coin flipping just as I'm sure lawmakers have eliminated eliminating from boats.

The world has lost all common sense. A friend had his asphalt driveway replaced. It was in front of the house for 30 years. Once they scraped it up off the ground, it became hazardous waste and could not be put in the landfill. You can buy bottom paint anywhere and apply it. You can scrub the bottom in the water.[the paint is designed to leach off] BUT once the boat is hauled, God help you if any bottom paint touches the water again.
    The local municipalities dump tens of million gallons of sewage a year into the water, But flush a little pee overboard and you are subject to fines.
    There are always fuel and oil spills at the ports. CG usually says that they are 'small' spills and will dissapate. Drop a few drops from the fuel tank vent and it is a 500.00 fine! I could rant all day !