Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Heh, Heh, Heh - another save for vice-grips

This is the last night in our temp apartment in Mexico City. Tomorrow we are moving to a house about a mile away - still in Polanco.

So, tonight the Admiral and I... Hmm, can she still be an Admiral when we're here and the boat's in NY - I don't think so. THen again, she's still in charge so... Sorry, I was digressing.

Anyway we were opening a bottle of wine to celebrate our last night in the apartment. I was using the owner-supplied corkscrew (furnished apt - we don't have a thing of our own) and had almost finished screwing all the way into the cork when the handle broke off of the screw part. There was no way to pull the cork out by hand-pulling on what was left sticking up out of the cork. I figured we'd have to do the old "punch the cork into the bottle" thing when I realized that a few weeks ago I had purchased a few tools as a handy tool kit. OF COURSE one of the tools was a set of vice grips - how could they not be one of the first tools to buy?

I clamped those suckers on the sticking-out portion of the screw and seconds later we were enjoying some fine Mexican wine! (6 bottles for 24 bucks!)

Mexican wine is actually pretty darned good here and, fortunately, along with eating out, liquor is the ONLY thing cheaper here than in the States.

Oops, I digressed again... I have four of 'em on the Hatt and another 6 pairs at home but those six include a couple pair of the type used clamping while welding so they're not "regular" pliers and would not have worked for this wine opening! I seriously hope that the guy who invented vice grips got all the money he deserved for the invention. But somehow, I doubt it

Re: Heh, Heh, Heh - another save for vice-grips

Yeah, Vise Grips are a great invention. Now, how about sending me some of that Mexican wine so I can get a real idea of what you are going through down there?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Remember when Vise-Grips first came out? They were considered a butcher's tool. (BTW, I once offended a real butcher with a similar comment. He got into a rant about how they never looked at a bad cut of meat and said "Boy you really mechanic'd that sirloin." I felt pretty bad, so no offfense to any meat-cutters out there, okay? But I digress) Today you wouldn't find a decent wrench-turner without one. So I guess they proved themselves after all.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

4. Re: Heh, Heh, Heh - another save for vice-grips

You boys are a bunch of wimps. Just break the neck of the bottle over a brick and drink it like men!
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

you gotta put it in a sock first then hit it with the brick over a bowl
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

6. Re: Heh, Heh, Heh - another save for vice-grips

Leave it to a Cuban to figure out how to open a bottle of Mexican wine!
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com

I think Mike you should send each forum member a bottle of wine so we can judge it and make sure its ok for a member to comsume. Maybe 2 bottles, just to be sure.
    You got it Randy! Just as that neck hits the rock and brakes you get a nice sterile wash and your good to go. Come on Carl, you don't know where that sock has been.

BILL

8. Re: Heh, Heh, Heh - another save for vice-grips

ROFLOL Put a sock in it Bill!

Does drinking Mexican wine help you with learning to speak Spanish?

Does drinking Mexican wine help you with learning to speak Spanish?

Absolutely!

After we share a bottle, I'm pretty darned good at Spanish! For some reason, though, the Mexican's don't seem to be able to understand me.

Hmmm, maybe the Mexican wine just helps me THINK I can speak Spanish!

Maybe Mexican wine will get you South of Disorder or is it the boarder?
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA