Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
  1. Re: 53 vs 58 TC Advantages and Disadvantages

Maybe because there would be no entertainment value in a short answer. LOL
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

Re: 53 vs 58 TC Advantages and Disadvantages

well, our next Hatt is either a 53, 58, or 64 MY. We will need to move up soon

Or maybe an LRC

Noel

opps, meant but for our Hatt
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

3. Re: 53 vs 58 TC Advantages and Disadvantages

Quote Originally Posted by Boss Lady
    Maybe because there would be no entertainment value in a short answer. LOL
    You think?

Maybe I should rephrase that, some members don't seem to think, but I know you do!

I think I have the only 58TC for sale and nobody else is trying to sell a 53ED, a 53, or a 58MY, so why all the negative crap? Just kidding, sort of.

Quit trying to confuse my customer!!!
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

4. Re: 53 vs 58 TC Advantages and Disadvantages

Quote Originally Posted by CARL GUZMAN
    Thirdhat is right I gotta tell you when I was shopping I looked for the biggest porch!!! it's where you hang out the most. the 58CPMY has the 2nd biggest porch and is very nice. lets face it we all want to live on the water , why? because we want to feel that breeze and be at the waters edge. If you ask me the 70' has no porch at all and no outside spaces.
    You keep talking about porches and I'm taking you to the basement!

Dang it, now I'm going to have to go to the boat's kitchen, drink a couple of beers, and go to one of the three bathrooms. Then I'll sit in one of the two living rooms on my 58 and think about heading for one of the three bedrooms. I think I may take a shower in the master bath before I go to bed. Then again, if I do that I will have to clean it up if company comes. Maybe I'll use one of the other two showers. Dang, this boat is just too big for one person, and I'm getting all confused.

GuzBoy, when are you going to start talking like a boater instead of a real estate salesman?
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com

what is the headroom in the ER on the 58TC witht he hatches down ?

FWIW, you can pull the engines from the 53MY and 58YF without cutting anything... jsut roll the carpet and unscrew the hatches.

as to the inside panels in the companionway, you rarely need to open them...

one last thing i like about the classic layout is how the saloon opens to the aft deck, creating one large area.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird
    GuzBoy, when are you going to start talking like a boater instead of a real estate salesman?
    I told you that 70' is crap ! who wants a dinning room on a boat it's a good live aboard but you can't : fish, dive, walk around the boat, etc.
    It has a 3ft cocpit and a 3ft porch Maybe for one plastic chair?
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

7. Re: 53 vs 58 TC Advantages and Disadvantages

Quote Originally Posted by CARL GUZMAN
    I told you that 70' is crap ! who wants a dinning room on a boat it's a good live aboard but you can't : fish, dive, walk around the boat, etc.
    It has a 3ft cocpit and a 3ft porch Maybe for one plastic chair?
    You ain't never going to sound like a yachtsman are you BubbAmigo? First you talk about porches and living rooms, now you want to talk about dining rooms.

I hate to sound like a moderator, but we are talking about 53 vs 58TC's, not 70's. Besides, my dream boat I mentioned would be a 70CPMY which does have a smaller "porch" but the cockpit is almost as big as yours. You can walk around it, you just have to hang on!

Don't make me chase you off this porch again!

8. Re: 53 vs 58 TC Advantages and Disadvantages

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal
    what is the headroom in the ER on the 58TC witht he hatches down ?

FWIW, you can pull the engines from the 53MY and 58YF without cutting anything... jsut roll the carpet and unscrew the hatches.

as to the inside panels in the companionway, you rarely need to open them...

one last thing i like about the classic layout is how the saloon opens to the aft deck, creating one large area.
    The headroom when the hatches are down is more than adequate for checking/changing fluids and/or filters. Everything else is very accessable on BOTH sides of the engines. I'm 6'1" 230lbs and I have no difficulty doing what I need to do in respect to the aforementioned. I can sit up straight with no problems. Oh yeah, Sky why the heck do you feel the need to check your engines on an hourly basis? Who is driving the boat while you do this, and what do you do when you singlehand the boat?

How the heck do you pull the engines on your boat by rolling the carpet and unscrewing the hatches? I don't mean to sound like a smartass, but I fail to see how that would help do anything other than to possibly get the engines into the companionway. Are there hatches overhead? If so, what then? What the heck do you do with them from there? Same question would apply to the really big stand-up ER on the 70.

Again, I'm not trying to downplay your preference, I may end up with one of these some day and would really like to know how you get the engines out.
    Last edited by Freebird; 02-28-2007 at 11:41 PM.

Randy,
    I check my engines to make sure I don't have any problems. That way I hope to catch an oil or water leak, smoke, strange sound, vibration, etc before I starve it for oil and blow it up like you did. And as far as running the boat, I don't run it single handed. I always have at least one other person aboard, usually my wife. Besides, most of time when I need to go down to check I'm in several hundred feet of water in the middle of Lake Michigan with no other boats in site and running on autopilot.

On the 53MY the hatches are above. You set up and A-frame and pull them up. Then you wheel them out the back doors and lift them off of the back deck. Pay attention. This has been covered numerous times here . I'm not trying to discourage the sale of your boat. I'm just trying to answer the question that was asked. I'm sorry if you don't like my answers but I'm not your broker.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 03-01-2007 at 09:44 AM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

It's true Randy, my 58YF has hatches in the ER ceilings/salon floor like the 53's as well to lift the engines out and into the salon. Then they can be rolled to the aft deck (porch) and removed from the boat.

Doesn't everyone do hourly engine room checks while underway? I thought that was common knowledge/good practice. I guess if I had to move furniture or crawl on all fours in a hot engine crawlspace I may forgoe those as well! Now that I think about it, when I ran my 41TC (same basic layout as a 58TC) I would just lift the stairs leading down into the galley and barely stick my head in there for my hourly ER checks. I'd do a quick visual, and shoot my IR thermometer gun at the oil filter or oil pan on the mains and genny to check oil temps, shoot the coolant expansion tanks to check water temps and button it up until next hour. I actually used to write down my findings on a sheet of paper that was set up with fill in the blanks for these values. That way I could see what the temps were doing hour by hour over time. After rarely seeing any differences, I stopped that practice. I must say that opening a door while standing upright sure is easier though, take it from someone who has experience with both.

As far as Carl not sounding like a Yachtsman, have no fear. You are in NO DANGER either "Bubba"!