Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

53 vs 58 TC Advantages and Disadvantages

I have seen a lot of opinions on a whole bunch of different threads where the 53 owners lay out some great arguments and the 58 owners debate or qualify those advantages and disadvantages. I believe a lot of existing and potential Hatt buyers could benefit a lot from putting this debate on one thread for future reference. I had to go to the 'retirement thread', the 'boat market' thread and a couple of other places where good comments were made (like having to move the salon to one side to work on an engine of a 58TC vs a walk-in on a 53). If I am wrong then this goes nowhere and I bow my head in shame. If it goes as I hope, then we will all benefit in fully understanding and hearing from those that own what I believe to be the two most popular Hatts out there (the 53s and the 58s). Plus, there are some really good debaters out there like "The Bird" who will tell it like it is; Sky who has made some great points on the 53ED and others (sorry -can't remember the names) who have brought up great points.

Bill

Re: 53 vs 58 TC Advantages and Disadvantages

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsarkanna
    If it goes as I hope, then we will all benefit in fully understanding and hearing from those that own what I believe to be the two most popular Hatts out there (the 53s and the 58s).
    Okay, here goes. The 58TC was not a popular Hatteras. It was only in production for 5 yrs or so. Take a look on the market and you will see that there simply aren't that many out there compared to the 53's or the other varieties of the 58. They simply did not sell very many 58TC's, and began making 58's in other configurations (YF, MY series I and II, CY, etc) which were based on the successful design of the 53 and ALL had the walk-in engine rooms and remained in production for a long time. When the new boats would come out like the 54MY, the 56MY, 58MY, widebody 58MY (series II), 58CY, 61CMY & 61MY, the 63CMY & MY, the 67CMY and the 68CMY were ALL based on the successful design of the 53 Classic with the split walk-in engine rooms. I think that speaks loudly for the success of a design when it continually gets implemented and updated for several decades.

Now, I personally know and respect the 'Bird but unfortunately by no fault of his own he has barely put any time at all on his 58TC (read "Maiden Voyage from Hell" thread) and therefore has no real cruising experience on that platform from which to speak. Also, his is for sale so I would imagine that his opinion will be a bit slanted on this particular subject. Take it easy 'Bird, lower your weapons please. I'm just speaking the truth. No offense meant at all my friend.

As far as searching through several different threads to get all the info you are looking for, that is quite normal. If you do a search for a particular subject, you will be amazed at the different thread titles that come up yet they all have posts about the subject you searched within them.

Honestly, I think that your best bet is to go aboard as many different Hatteras' as you can so that you can personally see the differences that pictures cannot translate. It really is a "to each his own" choice but the sheer production numbers do not lie. They tell what sells, therefore what the majority likes. When a basic design spans several decades, you can't go wrong!

GOOD LUCK!!!

yes, the number of split ER boat really speaks for itself, doesn't it? it is considered one of the best small MY design ever and remained in production well in to the 80s if not early 90s.

advantages of the 53 layout :

- walk in ERs
    - more privacy in the master SR thanks to the companionway
    - lower helm with side doors right where you want it to be
    - better view from the main saloon
    - more privacy from the saloon as it sits higher. people on the dock don't have a diving view in your living room

the 58TC is a fine boat, but more of a carry over design from the typical 60s early 70s MY like the bertrams, CC, etc...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal, the 67CMY was in production until 1995. That's a full 30 yrs of production from the 1965 50MY that started this design standard and the last boat to benefit was the 1995 67CMY. WOW. Pretty amazing stuff!

I agree the 58TC is a fine boat, just not the trend setting legend that the Classic is.
    Last edited by ThirdHatt; 02-28-2007 at 08:37 PM.

Thirdhat is right I gotta tell you when I was shopping I looked for the biggest porch!!! it's where you hang out the most. the 58CPMY has the 2nd biggest porch and is very nice. lets face it we all want to live on the water , why? because we want to feel that breeze and be at the waters edge. If you ask me the 70' has no porch at all and no outside spaces.
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

If you are near Ft Pierce, Fla. this weekend you can come check out our 60C.
    Phone# 352-636-2840
    Tod
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

The 58TC is a beautiful classic. It was really a copy of the 1960's designs much like the 57 Chris Craft Constellation. I love those lines and the 70' Hatteras of that era is one of my favorites. That design is the same as the 38DC, 41DC/TC and the 43DC. Many of the owners of these smaller versions can also tell you the merits of the 58TC as their boats are very similar except smaller.

The 53MY/ED and the 58MY series I are totally different designs than the 58TC. They are true pilothouse motoryachts. The lower helm on the these boats is set much farther forward and this affords more room for living space on this level. The lines are not as sleek as having that huge foredeck cabin house in front of you that you get with the 58TC, but you gain the sliding doors. Those doors are great for quick access to the side deck as Pascal stated. It makes the 53/58MY very easy to handle since you need only take a couple of steps from the helm to secure a spring line.

I grew up on a 43DC and it is very similar to the 58TC and our dock neighbor had a 57CC Connie. That style is great except as stated, you have poor engine room access and a main salon that is down and a galley that is way down. I check my engine rooms on at least an hourly basis while cruising and it is so easy to just open those doors in the passageway and step in for a quick peek. I would not give that up.

The 53/58MY also has a separare generator/battery room. This is another storage area and it keeps the batteries isolated from the hot engine rooms. Most times we only run on inverter and the inverter and batteries stay cool. This extends battery life. Access to the batteries is also better for maintenance and replacement.

I have always wanted to own a 53MY. I looked at numerous vessels over many years, but I ended up with the ED. It has some advantages over the MY, but is also has some disadvantages. You lose the open aft deck, but you gain a huge salon. The salon is like that of the 18'2" widebody walkarounds. You also gain a built-in pilot house seat and storage. Many have added similar seats to the MY, however. My boat had the bulkhead cut out behind the pilothouse to open it up to the salon. This is a big improvement to the ED which I really like.

As others have said, it is a matter of personal preferrence, but production numbers do state that the 53MY was the most popular Hatteras that was not a fishing platform. In fact, it was one of the most popular motoryachts ever produced by any manufacturer with Grand Banks probably holding the record with their 42' trawler.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 02-28-2007 at 09:09 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

8. Re: 53 vs 58 TC Advantages and Disadvantages

when it comes to Hats it is all good, with some better. I would go look at as many as you can, then take a realistic look at how you "really" intend to use the boat. That will make the decision on which particular model you really favor. I wish I could have three or four, then I would have one for every occassion.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

Quote Originally Posted by Boss Lady
    I wish I could have three or four, then I would have one for every occassion.
    I agree with that. In fact, there are several multiple Hatt owners on this site. I envy that prospect, just not the expense.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

10. Re: 53 vs 58 TC Advantages and Disadvantages

LOL Hey Byron and Sky, aren't you boys always talking about quality is better than quantity? Who the hell cares how many 58's were made vs 53's? Economic conditions probably dictated how many 58TC's were built, but that is just a suggestion as I really do not know.

Sometimes manufacturers realize they have put too much into a particular design and discontinue it because they can make more money with something else. Maybe one of us should call Hatteras and see if they want to offer their view on this subject. In the end, it really doesn't matter does it?

As to my limited time in running this boat, what do you think I would have viewed differently by running this boat sporadically for six months vs running it in proper running condition for about 20 hours over a three day period? I have run many a Hatt after I bought this 58. None impressed me as being better in any way other than the bigger ones I have run which impressed me as simply being bigger. Truth is, mine felt the same or better than any other Hatt I have ever operated. Should I list the ones I have operated for you? It really doesn't matter as it is just my opinion, but I assure you, this part of my opinion is not biased. It is just based on the facts of what I have experienced.

I bought this 58TC for one reason and one reason only, price. Had I found a 53ED or 58MY for $117K in the same condition, who the hell knows what I would have bought. I was prepared to spend at least twice that amount, but there is no way I would have done that after viewing and running this boat. EVERY design has differences which can be viewed as positive or negative, it all boils down to personal preference.

I have to tell you, split stand up engine rooms do absolutely nothing for me. I've been on boats that have these, and they simply do not impress me. Now a big full beam stand-up engine room like on a 70 seems to give the best of both worlds, but that boat is not in the running for Bill (unless he has mood swings like I do!). Sure, you can stand up in a split engine room, but they make a long dungeon-like hallway where the 58TC has a mid stateroom and two heads. The split engine rooms give very limited access to the inside half of the engine. You have to remove a panel to access this portion of the engines. IMHO two choices of entry into an engine room is better than one. The 58TC has that. You can literally remove every square inch of the salon floor via hatches to give you way more headroom than you will ever find in ANY other engine room on a Hatteras, period. Entering through the steps in the galley is fine for general maintenance.

Then becomes the issue of what is involved should you want or need to remove the engines completely. You have to cut the top out of the lower salon roof to remove the engines. Sounds scary, but I am told it is no big deal and was designed with that in mind. How the heck do you remove the engines in a split walk-in engine room. To my knowledge, you don't. Unless of course you want to cut out the side of the hull. I've heard this is really not a big deal either, but it would scare the hell out of me.

I am not sure how Angela views a 58TC as having more ups and downs than a 58MY. As memory serves, there is no difference in this area. The 58TC has an upper salon/pilothouse, one level. Three steps down to the lower salon which is one level. Three steps down aft of the main salon is the companionway leading to the aft master with a guest stateroom to port, and two back to back identical heads to starboard with one having private access to the master only. Three steps down from the main salon forward is the galley and foward stateroom with a head to starboard, all on one level. Sounds like four different levels to me. I looked at my hand and had one finger left over!

Granted looks aren't everything, but who wants an ugly woman when you can have a pretty one? Who buys an ugly house, car, truck... whatever, over a pretty one? Shallow?, maybe. But I think everyone who has expressed an opinion has agreed with me that the 58TC is prettier than its "houseboatish" 58 and 53 counterparts. The 58TC feels like a much larger boat than even a 70 because of that long sleek foredeck.

Sum this short story up like it began, it is all just a matter of personal taste and preference tempered by price. My 58TC is pretty, and the price is unbeatable in any comparison. Why didn't I just say that in the first place?
    Last edited by Freebird; 02-28-2007 at 10:00 PM.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com