Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kitchen counter tile

Hi everyone. In the planning phases of doing upgrades to our Hatt. The counter tops in the galley are pretty worn and dated. I was considering formica, but also came across a 1/2 inch by 1/2 glass tile. They come on 12 x 12 mesh sheets and are said to be suitable for counter tops, flooring, baths. I would like to tile right over the existing formica top, which would only require pulling the sink and putting on a routed wood trim on the edges. I would also have to do something, not sure what, to prep the formica for the tile adhesive. For the backsplash I was going to use 4 x 4 inch ceramic tiles with insets every so often. Am I crazy? The glass 1/2 inch tiles are only 1/8 inch thick. Thanks for any advice you can share. Kate.

2. Re: Kitchen counter tile

Hi Kate,

You doing this or Making Rick do this ? LOL

First and most important, make sure the formica does not have any bubbles, or loose spots. If it does, then remove it before proceeding.

You can get a cheap but extremely effective Wagnor paint remover ( heat gun ) at the H&D or L, stores for about 30 bucks.

Use the heat gun and the formica will pull loose really easy. You can also use a dull putty knife to remove any left over glue.

I would prefer to remove the formica myself.

However, if the formica is good and you decide to leave it there, then get a good random orbital sander with 80 grit minimum, and sand the formica, really good. Get rid of the film. It will look really bad, and rough. then it is sanded good !

Pre-cut and fit all the tiles. then set in place with a really good tile mastic.

Use an epoxy based grout. You can but this in many colors at Lowes.

You can even add flouresant coloring

Re: Kitchen counter tile

Hello Kate, I used ceramic mosaic tiles on a galley countertop aboard a funky old Bay Built boat I owned 25 years ago. It worked out just fine and was appropriate to the unique old craft.

On a Hatt, I'm not so sure. As a yacht broker, I see a lot of what owners have done in the name of "updates". Much of it does not stand the test of time very well. Frankly, anything that doesn't pass as somewhat traditional "to the boat" makes resale more difficult. Hatt used pretty neutral finishes for the most part. I would suggest that you stick with a re-do in a similar Formica, or perhaps a Classic looking Corian could be very nice. I would avoid colors like blue or green, and stay neutral. Add the color to your scheme with carpet or fabrics which are more easily changed when the styles fade.

My 2 cents worth. Good luck with your project.

4. Re: Kitchen counter tile

Sea Eric does make a valid point about the products used.

I was told by the person who appraised my house a few years back that the kitchen , specifically the cabinets, and counter tops were one of the most important selling features and upgrades to make for resale value.

Solid surface materials, all made by DuPont, but under different brand names such as corian, Formica brand, never-mar etc........are the same , same.

However, there is a huge price difference. The nicer/prettier the color, the more they charge.

This corian can go right over the Formica as well, but "breather Holes " must be cut through the top for these solid surface materials.

Thanks everyone. All good advice and tips. I'll be doing it myself. The power tools are marital property :-) Went shopping at Lowes this afternoon and found a very neutral, but nice formica. Found a precut oak counter edge cap too that I'll probably use. I agree with keeping the neutrals and adding the colors in the accessories that can be changed by anyone who doesn't like my color choices. New hardware on the cabinets and flooring and the galley will be done. Thanks again. I'll have more questions later, I'm sure. Anyone needs to borrow tools, just let me know. Kate

While we are on counter tops, the admiral is pushing to replace the old Pricess stove with a 3 burner insert and a convection/microwave built in below the counter level. If I'm gonna do that then I want to re-do the counters as well.
    On first look I thought I would remove the counter top and take it to a shop and get Corian or a rock counter made. But I really didn't see anyway to get it off. Does anyone have any hints on how Hatteras attached the counter top? I will keep the fiddle boards ( I think thats what they are called) around the edge, I like that look, too many upgrades take them out.
    Thanks

David
    42 LRC 401

Here's a shocker for you:

When we redid our galley just before moving to Mexico - new sink, garbage disposal, countertops (silestone), fridge (the 8 year old one quit) - the Admiral also wanted to replace the oem hatt stove with something "modern." But you know what? She came around to the fact that the old stove/oven really worked well. The dang thing works better than our new and fancy home stove does. "Why mess with success," she finally determined. I had never seen or heard such a thing. All I could do was mutter, "Yes dear!"

So we just replaced the oem dishwasher under the stove with a modern SS one that matches the SS sink/fridge. No, it doesn't clean any better and isn't NEARLY as well made as the oem. Since the oem stove is SS it matches all the new stuff anyway.

Old stuff vs new stuff as far as ACTUALLY WORKING is an entire other subject for which I have a rather large soap box...

If your countertops are installed the same way Hatt did it on a 53, forget about removing them - they are built like the rest of the boat and integrated into portions of the structiure. Just lay the new stuff over the existing stuff. If you use corian, granite, silestone, whatever, it just means the countertop will be about 1/2 to 3/4 inches higher.

I'll add one other comment - a friend put one of the new glass-top stoves (like the one we have at home) in his boat. They hate it because anything on a "burner" tends to slide around much more than it did on their old fashioned coil heat element stoves. (like the Hatt oem)
    Last edited by MikeP; 02-26-2007 at 03:50 PM. Reason: add info

We went through the same thing, Mike. I replaced the fridge since it was shot, but the other appliances still work fine. The Admiral wants a new stovetop and oven, but you just can't fit an oven, stove, microwave, and dishwasher in that fit in the same space with any other unit or combination of units. I tried to talk her into doing away with the dishwasher or regular oven but that is not going to fly. So, for now anyway, the Modenmaid is staying. Many others have just put in a micro/convection oven combo, but the wife says she needs to be able to microwave and bake at the same time. Her main reason for change is that the old oven won't clean up very well. Now if I could only find a good, clean, working take-out, I'd be all set.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

We just put a Microwave to the left of the stove top on the counter (as you face the stove). I admit it would look better as a built-in but something has to be sacrificed and the SS micro looks fine there and matches everything else.

When we first got the boat I thought a dishwasher on a boat was totally unnecessary...until we used it the first time after entertaining. Initially felt the same way about the washer and dryer. Hey, I was young and stupid then (two years ago)!

We did exactly the same thing. The microwave really doesn't get in the way. I just have to remember to take it off of the counter when we get in 10 footers. Okay, maybe I'll try not to get that situation in the first place.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI