Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Question Newbie Cruising Q

Ok, I have been studying these ENC files from NOAA. They are really cool charts, but, I want to head south on the ICW from Charleston and I don't see any routing for the ICW on these charts. Am I missing something or looking in the wrong place? Thanks, Rick

PS I would ask Freebird's help on this voyage but I just read his 'Maiden Voyage from Hell' Just kidding, I enjoy all your postings, they are very well written, creative, informative, and entertaining.

Re: Newbie Cruising Q

Not sure about "ENC" charts. But if you want the easiest way to plan your cruise, get an ICW chart kit and a cruising guide for the south east. The cruising guide will give you an up dated narative of ICW, points of interest, marina's with phone numbers... everything you could need to get you down the ditch.

I used a chart kit and a cruising guide when i bought my 48yf in ft laud and brought it to RI. I dont know what type of enc's you are using but the noaa type to me are awfull. The colors are off and the pics of thing are different. Mybe i just am used to the old style. If you are using an enc that looks like a traditional chart then those are fine, which is the kind i use. They are not certified as an enc but are far easier to use. I dont know of any charts that come with routes or tracklines on them if thats what your asking? Usually those are applied by the user, via what ever type of chart manager (software) you are using.
    If you are asking about available info on the chart there are large areas with poor coverage or no coverage, as well as incorect info. Do a search on the internet about enc and the navy running agroud due to ""bad" charts""
    I drive Boats and Save People!!!
    See my projects at the link

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ter/?start=all

MAPTECH gps charts! we used 3 sets on our way down the ICW from MD. It has a magenta color line depecting the ICW with milage lines across the route.

Awesome charts.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

The ICW is marked with a magenta line on Maptech charts. It also sometimes says "Intracoastal Waterway" on it and has statute mile marks for identifying locations. C-Map GPS chips have the same markings except in black.

Exiting Charleston, it follows Wapo Creek to Stono River, then up to Wadmalaw River and Edisto river down to St. Helena Sound. Almost the entire waterway is marked with red and green buoys.

Doug

for planning, you cant' beat paper charts and a cruising guide which will give you a lot of info. ENC charts are ok but i dont' find them as detailed as paper or other electronic charts.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks everyone, I ordered a chart book off amazon a couple days ago

Thanks everyone, I ordered a chart book off amazon a couple days ago

hoping its the same as my ole muddy chart book, you could just sit and flip pages as you passed bouys up or down the Mississippi in my ole 32' Marienette

Anxious to get this Hatt out, I really like it and can't wait for that maiden voyage. These Hatts are really mind boggling cool.

Rick

I downloaded all the NOAA charts from Mackinac Island MI to Tampa including the Lake Ocachobee route. NOAA offers you two kinds of charts. I don't remember which I used, but they are a true representation of a standard paper chart and the ICW is depicted with that magenta line exactly as the paper charts. Don't select the ENC charts, use the other choice. We used them on my laptop with an old Nobletech program all the way from Detroit to Miami and recently around te Keys and up to Ft. Meyers. We are now moving across Florida and back to Miami. I do have Maptech chart books, but almost never looked at anything but my laptop. Those charts are free and I think they are great. Not their ENC charts though. Just select the other choice and enjoy.