Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: Retirement, what size boat?

good advice so far, although i disegree with Karl about the 53 requiring more maintenance than a 43 or 48. all these boats have 2 diesels, a genny, two helms, an electrical panel, a fresh water system, an air con pump, air conditioners (the 53 may have one more unit... big deal), a windlass, etc...

what's the difference in maintenance ? washing down another 5 or 10 ft... and another 5 or 10ft or bottom paint... no big deal.

the 53 has MUCH more space than the smaller ones because you get almost 2 full decks... whereas only has a second deck above the aft cabin. that's a huge difference.

i also think the 53 is far more easier to single hand because you have a lower helm with side doors, placing you 4 steps from your spring line. you dont' have to get down from the fbridge to get to your lines... even if your wife helps you out, it's nice sometimes to be able to do it alone or help out.

i think that up to 53 and maybe 58, dockage isn't a big deal. you might miss out on a couple of slips here and there while cruising but it shoduln't be a big problem.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

2. Re: Retirement, what size boat?

Quote Originally Posted by CARL GUZMAN
    Motivator don't forget the most important rule of all when picking the right boat .....CHECK WITH THE ADMERAL if not then your going to get allot of head aches remember to listen good to what she says or she'll bring it out later 1000 times....
    LOL I'm up to 1297 times as to negative comments on my decision to purchase BOTH of my Hatts, my car, my truck, my watch, my...... but who's counting! I'm just glad she doesn't hate me this week!

Please teach me Spanish so I can understand when your "admeral" adds to that 1,000 times you mentioned! "Carlos, el buyo uno Detroita Nerda Haveno or asta la vista bebe!"
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

BIRD she got mad at you for buying that replica Rolex

Motivator go for the bigger 53 or 58 you'll want the room as you move all your stuff in
    also with three rooms you can turn one into an office , because you never really retire all the way......
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

4. Re: Retirement, what size boat?

Quote Originally Posted by CARL GUZMAN
    BIRD she got mad at you for buying that replica Rolex
    Me, a fake Rolex? It ain't fake. It buzzes, the hands turn counter-clockwise, and I paid dang near $200 for it, in other words, it's just like the one you showed me that you wear.

Does this mean your Rolex is fake?
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com

I don't know some religous guy sold it to me every hour the small hand spins around then points toward Meca
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

6. Re: Retirement, what size boat?

Mine too, they must be real then huh?

We need to stop this now, my watch battery is dead!

[QUOTE=ThirdHatt]I would think that having a washer/dryer on board and most of all the walk-in engine rooms of a 53MY/58YF would weigh very heavily on a boat purchase to be used as you describe. In your retirement (or any age), who wants to crawl on all four's every time you enter the engine room?

Second the washer/dryer. My wife used to say she enjoyed using the washers at the marinas we visit.... good way to meet people and pick up the local scuttle but. We bought the 48MY with a W/D and the dryer didn't work well so I heard some grumbling about how bad boat W/D's are. After I took 3-4 grocery bags of lint out of the drier exhaust duct, she now does almost all the wash on board while doing other things or just watching TV. Only complaint now is the stackable Kenmore wrinkles clothes more than the Whirlpool at home. Any ideas on how to solve the latter problem?

Bob
    1981 48MY

Talking Re: Retirement, what size boat?

Remember the stackable Kenmore is only about 2/3 the size of a traditional 18-20lb load washer. Just reduce your wash-load size to about 1/2 and you'll have fewer wrinkles - I ain't telling anybody how I know.

Bear'
    1984 61' MY Stategic Plan

9. Re: Retirement, what size boat?

You a closet ironer there bear'?

Sounds as if you may be "maid" to order!

Don't get yourself all "dried" out, it'll all come out in the wash!

Th admiral wants a W/D, but on my 43 the only place to put it is on the portside aft deck and I'm not ready to give up any part of my aft deck for any W/D. It's either she uses the marina W/D or I get my 53MY. So far it's been the marina.