Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Re: Retirement, what size boat?

If you're handy with tools and enjoy working on boats then my advice is buy as large as you can handle.... i.e.. 53 MY. The 43 's are great boats but depending on your need for space, you may feel the need for more space after a short while. I have owned 2 43's over the last couple dozen years and I loved them both. After staying aboard either for about a month or two, I would feel a little cramped. Presently I have a 48 ('82 series 1) which is a compromise boat. My yacht club rules limit us to 50' so my dream boat, the 53's are not going to happen. Fortunately for me the 48 is also pretty roomy, but like bobk above (we have sisterships), I would have preferred a better guest room arrangement and 3 stall showers but it's still a nice boat.

If your time permits, I suggest that you check out whatever models you are interested in and even take some rides on some. I'm certain that you will have no problems getting invitations aboard some of our forum member's boats. We are in NJ near Sandy Hook and my boat will be commissioned for the season around the end of April. You are welcome to visit and we will take you out for a cruise. Be sure to try the 43s and 53s also, then decide.

Walt P

Many great and valid comments have already been offered. I agree the slow-cruising speed fuel burn is similar on most of the recommendations, only slight differences. The dockage rates, insurance rates and dockage availability getter tougher with every size larger.
    I think you also have to consider layouts very carefully. How mobile are you? Does galley-up or galley-down play a large role in your desires? I think the 'raised bridge' (vs. a flying bridge) of the 43' and 48' MYs is very handy for quick access from the bridge to the side decks for docking/undocking. Great points have already been made about ERs and size/comfort.
    I don't find the side deck walk-arounds/vs. catwalks a big issue. Having owned both it just becomes a matter of procedure and routine - both work OK. Consider your mate's needs regarding mobility, line handling, comfort, etc. Does she also dock the boat? What are the sightlines for her? Does she prefer side decks or an aft deck for line handling, etc?

Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

I retire at the end of April (getting out before I hit the big Six-0) and have been looking and studying every type of boat of varying lengths, engine requirements/costs etc for a good retirement and live-aboard boat for the past 16 months. I shudder to think of the number of hours I have invested educating myself on various sites like Passagemaker, this site and many others learning about various sizes and issues. Although I still at this late stage have the occassional 'flip flop', I am firmly convinced that a 53 MY is probably the best value, the best all round retirement boat, the best engines to have and there are many MYs out there in great shape at reasonable prices (ignore the YW site where all the dreamers list their boats; or in many cases that listing is for the 'tax man' - the boat was bought sales tax exempt or is being written off as inventory - with an unrealistic price to ensure nobody would think of buying or even bothering the Vendor!). If you want a reasonably priced Yacht, go to a broker in your area and tell him/her your price range and the boat you want, post an ad in marinas where you see many large yachts and the word will travel, post on this site and other sites like Passagemaker and eventually a realistic seller will contact you. Plus, as you will see from another thread on this site (and also on Passagemaker), the "over 50 ft" used market has been in a downturn for the past 15 months and it is still sliding 'south' - that is why I have been holding off buying and I have saved a lot of money holding off over the past 12 months. I am sure the market will bottom out eventually and perhaps turn north again at some point, so I am getting close to locking in my purchase. Good luck in your research and your ultimate purchase. One thing for sure - the ONLY boat to buy is a Hatteras in my mind.

Thanks to all for the great responses! Your comments and suggestions will help us narrow the search a great deal during the coming year.

FREEBIRD, the thought of a house boat is truly an ugly one! I do plan on staying mobile lingering only a few weeks at the most in one place during the winter months. The idea of getting a seasonal dock somewhere around Mystic CT is just to be near our daughter and to have a safe place to leave the boat in the event we want to do some inland travel.

Charlie and thoward, I agree with you access to the systems is very important. My background will allow me to do a great deal of the maintenance. Having good access means I will WANT to do it instead of hiring some one else crawl into the tight spots.

David, I will keep an eye on the LRC Club.

Mike, thanks for mentioning the boarding issue.

Walt P, we visit our daughter in Greenwich CT frequently and we may take you up on your generous offer.

hey mike, the 58yf does have the same layout as the 53my. i have had my 58yf for one year, and i think its the best of both worlds sf, and my combined. bigbill

6. Re: Retirement, what size boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis
    Fuel consumption in displacement mode (9kts) is not materially different between a 43 and 58.

What IS more expensive is dockage and maintenance.
    Maybe I wasn't clear in the point I was trying to make as to fuel cost and maintenance issues.

I was not implying there is a big difference in the amount of fuel you will burn in a 43 vs a 53 or larger Hatt. My point was if you spend most of your time at the dock, fuel will not be an issue with either boat.

In short, if you have x amount of dollars to spend per month, and you are not going to do a lot of cruising, go with the bigger boat for the space. If you are going to cruise a lot, buy the cheaper smaller boat so you can afford fuel and the extra maintenance you will need due to the increased number of hours you put on the boat. Either boat will then cost you the same per month.

It is obvious that dockage is cheaper on a smaller boat as every slip is priced on size.

Your call.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

Hey guys, just registered today,(sistership came through our marina), and told us about this site. WE azre truly Hatteras buffs, if u will, only 47, and on my fourth Hatt. My soulmate and partner, for 19 yrs., I believe u have 2 get 2 know a woman, before u marry them, first lived on a '65-41' d/c, with our lab. pup, for over 5 yrs., comfortably. We used that vessel more, and hads more fun on it, than my whole fleet of hatts., put together, because u do use smaller boats more????? We than moved up 2 a '77- 53m/y, and what a difference as far as living aboard. Washer and dryer are a must for living, as well as extended stays, in my opinion, having never owned a house, aqnd been living aboard 1 of my 4 hatts., a vikingm/y and a Chris Craft, over 19 yrs. We loved our smaller vessels, but didn't have room 4 w/d. I am knot a wealthy yacht owner, so i do my washing and almost everything else, but it still cost considerably more t2 own, than the 43 would, in my opinion. Either way, can't go wrong with Hatts; having sold all of mine, to people who made me offers, @ more than purchase price... Your decision will be right , whichev er way you go; my best wishes... Kaptain Kev & D.

8. Re: Retirement, what size boat?

Hey Kaptain Kev,

Welcome to our dysfunctional family! I too have been living aboard a 1965 41DC (see "Nancy Cay Pics" if you are interested), but I have been doing it alone in TN. Same goes for my 1974 58TC in Florida.

Seems the almost ex-wife has had hopefully the last change in heart as to keeping us married as our 15th wedding anniversary will be this June 27. I am hopeful that I will someday be able to convince her to liveaboard a present or future Hatteras as well along with our son who will be 4 on June 19. I personally think it would be a hell of a great way for him to grow up!

Good to have you onboard, and it is also good to see a new guy make a contribution to this forum.

I'm going to bed now!
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

Motivator don't forget the most important rule of all when picking the right boat .....CHECK WITH THE ADMERAL if not then your going to get allot of head aches remember to listen good to what she says or she'll bring it out later 1000 times....
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

I would think that having a washer/dryer on board and most of all the walk-in engine rooms of a 53MY/58YF would weigh very heavily on a boat purchase to be used as you describe. In your retirement (or any age), who wants to crawl on all four's every time you enter the engine room? You won't go in there much if it is not easy/comfortable to do so. I spend WAY more time in my engine rooms on my 58YF than I ever did on my 41TC or 36C simply because it is so darn easy. Who wants to move furniture or lift carpet to access engine space? I don't miss that one bit. I'll gladly pay a little more for dockage/maintenance and not have to give it to my chiropractor.

I say go for the 53 Classic! There's a reason why it was in production for 19 years and still remains to this day the best-selling motoryacht EVER!