Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Re: Recent boat ads - I don't understand the "advantage"

If I had a large boat, I would have the railings for the very reason mentioned above. To me it is a safety issue. And quite frankly, I think the right railings, meaning the angle of the stantion can and does enhance the looks of the vessel.

I also agree about the hulls and the cored areas. There is no weak structural point that I can see because the "shell" is solid to the gunnel. There is just some added core and more glass in those other areas.

But a cored hull is a nightmare to repair. It can be very time time consuming and cost lotsa' $$$$$$$$

The composite props seem pretty cool, in theory. But as Chris says, the knowledge here seems to be lacking, and the price is jst rip off.

You know,

I may be "just a carpenter" or "yacht refurb guy" , But I just do not understand why so many companies out there charge so much for products for your boats.

It is like they all want to "make it" on every sale.

2. Re: Recent boat ads - I don't understand the "advantage"

I would like to add mention the $68.00 per linear foot price Taco Metals tries to charge for 1.25" width stainless rub rail! This stuff only weighs 1 1/2 lbs per foot and since 316 stainless is normally only $2.50 per pound, this is a highly inflated price. I called them and played dumb about boats, since the parent company refered my call to the marine division in Florida, I knew I was going to get an inflated price. I told the salesman I needed this rub rail for a construction project that specified stainless rub rail guards along a high traffic wall. When he gave me the above price, I acted shocked and told him that I normally buy stainless sheet and plate by the pound. Even a 4 x 8 foot sheet of 3/8ths thick mirror polished stainless was only $5.oo per pound. I asked the salesman why this was so expensive and he told me that it is used on $4 million+ yachts and they don't have a problem with the price. I asked if there is quantity price break and he did tell me that if I bought 200 or more feet that he would sell it to me for $36 per foot. Lets see 150 feet x 68 bucks= $10,200, $36 x 200= $7,200 what a deal, Gee, thanks.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

3. Re: Recent boat ads - I don't understand the "advantage"

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Erich
    I've been doing some reading about the carbon props. Here is a good web site for a manufacturer.

http://www.compositecarbonfiberprop.com/

I only real advantage I can see is if you do hit something the blades don't shatter. Because the blades are slightly flexible and weightless in comparison to a mettle blades you won't get the violent vibration from the resulting out of ballence prop and therefore sustain less overall damage... bent shafts, engine mounts, trans. etc. You could then continue to run your boat after a grounding without fear of tearing her up and be able to at least get her home without the need of major assistance.

In theory... it might be reasonable.
    Take a look at their about us http://www.compositecarbonfiberprop.com/about_us.htm
    These guys look like the cast off the Sopranos. See anyone with a remote chance of having a clue about sizing props for your yacht?
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish

Re: Recent boat ads - I don't understand the "advantage"

Chris,
    I think Taco might of been playing with you. The LIST price for 1 1/4 SS is 51.00 for a 12 ft length.

5. Re: Recent boat ads - I don't understand the "advantage"

Okay, I'm no expert and didn't look at the link, but it would seem carbon fiber props would be much lighter which would allow more rpm and the ability to go up in pitch for more speed which translates to better fuel economy. That stuff is being used in everything these days to save weight over conventional materials.

Bow rails? Yeah, it would be stupid to have a big sun lounge or seating area on the bow with no bow rails, other than that, they are just in the way. The elimination as it relates to sportfishing has already been justified. It is doubtful you are going to be handling lines anywhere except in calm water. Most have automatic windlasses, so why do you need to be on the bow? Besides, it's purtier without rails!

The dinghy on deck is a point I had not thought of as bow rails would hinder in launching/retrieving the dinghy.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

Re: Recent boat ads - I don't understand the "advantage"

Not having bow rails is stupid, and dangerous.
    The hard core sport fishing guys do it just for the macho look, the same reason they have no portholes (also stupid).
    I wouldn't have a boat without rails, my family goes forward when we're out at sea, and they're not (except my son) young fearless big game tournament deck hands. Losing crew overside at night is the worst nightmare I can imagine.
    Portholes are another thing I wouldn't be without. I guess the guys who don't think they're sexy have air conditioning that NEVER fails. The lack of ports turns the interior into a cave. What morons.
    Of course, the big time tournament angling crowd buys 60' boats that can only go 400 miles to dry tanks too, so I guess they don't actually plan to go anywhere. Couldn't miss happy hour ya' know.
    I'll admit, it would be fun to be able to go 50 knots once in a while.......
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

7. Re: Recent boat ads - I don't understand the "advantage"

Quote Originally Posted by luckydave215
    Not having bow rails is stupid, and dangerous.
    Are you calling me stupid and dangerous?

Oh yeah, my boats have bow rails, sorry I got excited. Mine have portholes too!
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

8. Re: Recent boat ads - I don't understand the "advantage"

Quote Originally Posted by captddis
    Chris,
    I think Taco might of been playing with you. The LIST price for 1 1/4 SS is 51.00 for a 12 ft length.
    Please let me know where I can obtain it for that price. Thanks, Chris
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish

9. Re: Recent boat ads - I don't understand the "advantage"

You can have your boat without bow rails. I won't go out on it in open water, especially if the RAFT is up there.

Oh, you mean you never sink? Cool. Then why have the raft? I mean, if you never sink.......

If you do, would you like to be able to go forward to handle it in the 6-8s, 10s, 12s, or whatevers? Gonna do it with no bow rails? Uh huh. That's what I thought.

There's no argument for NOT having them on a sportfish. On a CC, perhaps. But on a SF? You don't fish from the bow. That's about LOOKS, and looks before function has never been a good thing.

Tell 'ya what, when you have to drop an anchor in heavy seas because your power is out and the alternative is a bunch of rocks, well, you going forward? What 'ya gonna hold onto?
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

10. Re: Recent boat ads - I don't understand the "advantage"

Darwin is a cruel judge. Most people avoid bad weather so the likely hood of really needing the rails is minimized. I have safety lines for all life vests fitted with a snap link, if someone has to go forward in rough conditions, we will at least know where to look for them, and they should be somewhere near the end of the safety line, LOL That is if you a bow rail to clip onto.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish