Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Boat Market

Re: Boat Market

I've got to agree with Karl, been in business for about 30+ years diferent business until about 25 years ago. We are in Pa. and service, sell and repair industrial air compressors. Yes the market has changed as the large smoke stacks have mostle gone away. But there is a large segement of smaller industry still here even some new business. We sell more new equipment each year and have just closed our best year ever, yes it a battle every day, but being in business is always hard work. Ten years ago my son and I started a scuba shop. The industry joke is if you want to make a million dollars start with two million. Wrong again, a very tough business but profitable and you can make money if you work and don't let yourself get bogged down with outdated ideas. Personally I think it's a great time, i'm not rich nor will I ever be but I lead a good life. Try to stay away from loans and watch my money. I always am amused by people crying poor sell the condos, boats, toys and you'll live large. If not work harder, smarter and maybe do without a couple of things you really didn't need anyway. Just my opion, Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

My .02 cents ...I can only tell you my local story in respect to Florida economy and the dredfull BUBBLE.... well alot started with the ( unethical )mortgage brokers coming on strong in the late 90's and early 2000's faulsifying documents to push there mortgage's thru to help bury some of there clients and driving up the cost of home buying. I seen people with 300k loans and not even a checking account brokers working out of there home with white-out and scissors to stick deals together and inflate the housing bubble ...Where was RESPA ? to protect the lenders ? the lenders didn't complain as long as payments where made on time , but now with all the foreclousures they are crying the blues and now investigating there deals to find fraud everywhere when ceo's new it but did nothing.Then in 2005 theres no one left to buy and many have over three homes and neg-amort mortgages and then pressure comes down on the illeagals and lots leave town increasing the number of homes vacant and lowering the rent prices and we get hit by multiple hurricanes and insurances have a hay day ( without any regulation ) and double and triple some policys and then the property taxes adjust for all that speculative buying and taxes hit hard at the same time insurance doubles
    If a home buyer lies on documents to get a home what do you think they'll do to keep it !!!!!
    I feel the country is getting more and more corrupt every year and letting more third world country people in (that opperate in corruption) will only make things worse...
    We need to police our own , and don't be affraid of law suits if someone does wrong and you do nothing they will keep doing wrong
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

Personally I think were getting old and sounding like our fathers. Bitching keeps you busy, rather than worrying about impotant stuff. Sure there's a ton of thieves and crooks always has been always will be. It truely is and always has been about greed and taking the easy way out. We many times ignore it if it doesn't impact us directly but when it does like chicken little... Well i'm putting away my soapbox i'm on vacation and i think it's time for an adult beverage and a dip in the pool. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

Karl, thanks for the lesson in US economics but you failed to notice I referred to my LOCAL economy......As far as "permanent wealth", again it has nothing to do with business growth which is what I referenced.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

Personally I think were getting old and sounding like our fathers

Absolutely right! I can't believe how many times I've found myself saying what my father said..the very same things I SWORE in my teens I would never say. We do sound like a bunch of BOFs!

Quote Originally Posted by labrador
    Capt Bill where in N.C. do you have those slips? Are they rented and if not how much do you want? I'm in New Bern and I've been told I may have to leave due to new condo's and the marina selling the slips. Don't know if thats the case however was thginking of taking the boat to Beaufort or somewhere on the beach anyway.
    If you're talking about the Sheaton jump on 'em! My guess is they are going to be a great investment.

Right now I'm booked. But I have one guy occupying a 35' slip whom I'm not sure of re long term. Slips are in Carolina Beach, N. Myrtle Beach and Charleston.

Send me a PM if you need more details.

You have lots of good choices in that general area. Goos luck!

PS: we will be cruising to New Bern this June to attend a rendezvoux of the District "Rear End" Commander. Hope to connect with all our Hateras freinds in the area.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Quote Originally Posted by rswirtz
    I would be interested in moving my boat from Charleston Resort Marina as well. I pay $500 plus metered electric. I'm told this is a pretty average price, but a nice mom and pop place on a coastal river would appeal to me if there are any such places anymore. Thanks, Rick
    You need to visit Dataw Island Marina (east of Lady's Island near Beaufort, SC.) if anybody does!

I don't own a slip there but should the new owners make an offering I promise I will be the first in line with check book.

http://www.datawmarina.com
    Attached Images
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

You can't feed your family on 2 years of no pay. That is lousy logic. The only reason the unemployment is down is because when you run out of unemployment you are taken off the list. Tell the steel workers, the auto industry, the tire industry, air lines, real-estate, the farmer, now the building industry in the northern states. In my area there was 400 building permits per month now 14. Detroit, Toledo, and surrounding towns are dying. Sure there is some business growth, but I think it will be short lived. Yeah the south is good thanks to the weather. I don't have or need 2 cars, I have a new car. My choice. I'm lucky at the moment. I live within my means. but I still worry about my children's jobs and it does not look good. The economy started changing in the 70. When 2 family incomes started to emerge. There was then to much play money. People started to buy things at any price. So escalating the economy. Now they can't live on 2 checks. I have many friends that don't have jobs and can't find one that will pay a LIVING wage. It doesnt make any difference what your earnings are your spending curve will be the same only higher or lower. On the good side the carryouts are doing fine. I hope I'm wrong. But I think the writing is on the wall.

BILL
    Last edited by Trojan; 02-24-2007 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan
    You can't feed your family on 2 years of no pay. That is lousy logic.
    ...snip..
    BILL
    Bill,
    I believe the point that Genesis is making is that when you have a very good year, you should save some (ALL?) of the "extra" earnings for a rainy day. The first raise that I got during my first job out of college, I was advised to put the entire raise into my 401k. The logic was that I was living on what I was making so the raise was "extra". I have been blessed in that my "rainy days" have been very short. During our "boom years", we resisted the preasure to spend more and saved aggressively. I remember a real estate agent trying to convince us to buy a larger house because we could qualify for a larger mortgage. With luck, we will survive the fluxtuations in the economy.

Mark

10. Re: Boat Market

The marketing pressures to consume more and have it all now are tremendous. Just look at the drug commercials you see now-a-days, hell even I feel like I am missing out on something because I don't need any of them. LOL Self control is commodity in short supply in America. Look at the portion sizes of food served in resturants and fast food joints. Now wonder we are overweight. They use every tool in the tool box to get your money. The play to your ego, your fears, use sex, etc and the madison avenue guys are good at it. The help you justify endangering your financial health. I have always been rather practical so things have to make sense or I won't do it. Owning a boat is the dumbest thing you can do. You cannot justify it, unless it falls into one of three categories: I needs it, I wants it, or I just gots to have it! LOL
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com