Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

satellite tv antennae

Anyone out there have input as to satellite tv antennae.I would like to get one that is automatic such as the KVH R6 or something similar and would like to keep the cost down in the low 2 thousands. Please advise.

2. satellite tv antennae

KVH marine antennas are stable enough to provide TV underway in perhaps 5 to 7 foot seas. For TV in anchorages your don't need all that sophistication. The KVH model for RV's, now called "R5" will even handle seas up to about four or five feet and is less expensive than the marine models...about $1,800 I believe. Marine models...maybe $3000 and up??? Install yourself to save that additional cost...most of the work will be running the cable from antenna on top to receiver at the bottom...

For TV while anchored, Follow me TV reportedly works just fine....maybe $700 http://www.follow-me-tv.com/

Re: satellite tv antennae

We installed the KVH C3 on the 42LRC mast. I paid $1800 for the marine C3 from Defender. It cost $1500 to get Jarrett Bay NC to install it and a new radar on the mast and run the wires for both. The mount to match the Hatteras raked mast from SeaView was $500. The reciever was $150. The Flat screen TV was $800. Thats a lot of money to watch TV. Works great.

But what the heck, I spent all my money on women and boats and wasted all the rest.

SKooch
    42LRC401
    Wronton Creek MD

I have the 24" KVH (don't know the model #, I'm at the office) mounted on the tower hardtop, and it works glitch free even in 15' seas. The P.O. installed it, and I suspect he paid a fortune for the whole system, what with the 37" flat screen, killer sound system, etc. If I had it to do over again, I don't know if I'd buy such an elaborate system as I'm not much of a TV guy. My teenage daughter watches it the most.
    That being said, it sure works nice.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

The follow me TV antenna would meet my needs but can anything be done about the apearance of the open dish? That's the only thing that stops me from getting one.

As for the marine antennas there seems to be a large price range. Are you paying for superior performance in rough sea conditions? In other words if I go for a less expensive model will it work just as well in moderate conditions?

Thanks Brian

Used KVH systems on Ebay run about $800 and up for used models. I snagged a used "Cruise TV " in a dome for $450 and installed myself. Works great. (so far)

Capt Ned
    Miami Beach

Thanks guys. My requirements are mostly for at anchor or at different marinas.I am not too concerned about the antenna's abilities in high seas. My young children, wife and teenage daughter are not much on rough rides anyway. I am concerned about reliability,ease of installation and self aiming.My biggest problem is that KVH offers the "L","S","C","R", and the "A" series' and I do not know the pro's and cons of each one. Do any of you have any experience with any of them? My primary cruising area is Essex Connecticut to Martha's Vineyard.

I have the KVH Trac Vision 4 on my boat. Superb piece of equipment!

9. Re: satellite tv antennae

Try http://www.kvh.com/MarineSat/

as a starting point for KVH comparsions....note the smaller units do not include a control unit...then call KVH and explain your requirements...see what they recommend...

I recently installed the 15" Sea-King on my 36 and so far it works great. It has only one RG-6 cable running to the dome which made installation a snap and only weighs about 20lbs. Costs less than $3K and a HD receiver can be bought on e-bay. Add the receiver to your house account for only 5 bucks a month. HD football on the boat can't be beat