Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
    Sea Islander Guest

INTERIOR WOOD FINISH

We have a 53 Hatteras Sportfish of which we are updating the salon. The wood is Mozambique, and we have some of the Interior Wood Finish from Sam's Marine. Wanting to know if you have used this in the past what is the best way to apply to get the best look possible. Also, we have ordered some of the Mozambique veneer to build cabinets and replace a panel on the wall. The new veneer doesn't seem to have the tinge of red our older wood has. Thinking about trying some Minwax Red Oak stain and mixing the right combination to make color match.
    The small amount of the interior wood finish from Sam's that we tried so far would look great, but not getting a smooth finish, it is trying to "BUBBLE", have you experienced this?
    Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Re: INTERIOR WOOD FINISH

I don't know about the wood finishing techique but I'm interested in where you got the "Mozambique" wood. I have a 1984 53' EDMY that I want to add to and modify the cabinetry and can't seem to match the veneer plywood locally. I used to have a Hat 48' LRC and was told that the wood was "Ribbon Mahogany" - I wonder if this is the same as "Mozambique"?

I'm also interested in the response that you get to your question about finishing the wood as I'm facing the same problem. Thanks for letting "ride along" on your query.

Bill

I am not a long time Hatteras owner, but I have followed threads on this subject before and the terms "Mozambique" and "Ribbon Mahagany" are new terms to me. I have always heard the wood on the Hatteras described as "Afromosia" (sp?).

Jim Alexander

From what I understand, Affromosia is a specific kind of mahogany. It is also called Mozambique Teak. I think we are all talking about the same thing, but if you are searching for a source, it is most commonly referred to as Affromosia and a web search will yield several places that stock it.

5. Re: INTERIOR WOOD FINISH

World Panel Products in Florida has both plywood and the raw veneer (e.g. paperbacked) in stock at a reasonable price.

Per the Hatt original paperwork, the original interior interior finish on our '80 53MY was Dupont penetrating oil.

I used minwax red mahogany stain and minwax tung oil finish to renew our interior wood. I was very happy with the results. In order for this to work well, you will have to lightly scuff the surface with fine sandpaper. Do not sand heavily. I applied the stain with a rag, waited a few minutes and then wiped it off. Do it again until you get the color you want. If it's too dark, wipe it with paint thinner.

After the staining, wipe on the Minwax tung oil (It isn't really tung oil, by the way). Same deal...let dry for a few minutes and wipe off. Add additional coats depending on the level of gloss desired. 4 coats will produce quite a glossy finish.

I do not like the method of adding the stain to the clear coat because you won't have separate control of the gloss and color.

I have had fairly good luck on this by using Watco Danish Oil finish, after light scuffing of the original finish. I have tried a variety of things on top of that; Interlux's satin finish interior varnish, Epiphanes' similar product, and also just lemon oil and beeswax (BoatUS Interior Wood Care wax). All of it seems about the same. Sometimes I have had to use the red mahogany stain that Mike describes to get the color matched up. It works fine.

I have also used the Watco Teak Oil Finish on my interior teak. Works great to renew faded areas. You can find it at Lowe's.

BTW, SAM's Marine sells afrimosa veneer (truly veneer, must be glued to to plywood for use) in 4' X 8' rolls for $153. I'm betting that this is what we have in almost all the Hatteri that we own. Stain and oil/varnish are what make the difference.