Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Wake Zones

Re: Wake Zones

I'm not sure about sailing in the ICW. I was always told sailing in the channel was illegal. I was thinking about the channel coming into the Manatee river. The other day a sailboat was in full sail heeled over 15 degrees sail blanketing their vision while trying to turn in the channel where it is only about 100' wide. I don't think that was very responsible, not legal from what I've been told.

Maybe we have a legal beagle that can shed some light on the legality of this issue.

Have fun boating
    Last edited by garyd; 02-06-2007 at 10:06 AM.

Thirdhatt. Last year we were up by Terra Verde. I was in the NWZ, but off to the west was a entrance from the Gulf of Mexico. A 60+ viking was rolling in on plane looked nice. I kept watching as his wake literally crested over the sea wall of the houses along the ICW in that area.

I don't know how I feel about that even to this day. As we approached that area all kinds of boats big and small Hatts and whatever were on plane. The mess it created was amazing. Like I said I'm not sure to this day how I feel about that situation.

The big viking was legal, was he pushing the limit or exceeding it. Hmmmmmm.

No legal beagle here, but the ROR says no prob w/ the sailboat

Interesting to find out that the "you are responsible for your wake" is really based on tort law...(at least in NC). Tough to prove it, I'd imagine, in court.

Rick
    Last edited by Rickysa; 02-06-2007 at 10:48 AM.

GaryD, you are absolutely right. I am glad you said about the big boats on plane that got your attention because it shows that even though you may feel comfortable doing this in your 41', you can see that 60' boats can cause a dangerous situation while still not being illegal. What your 41' boat does to a 20' boat is the same thing. Were they they pushing it? Probably so but you are right that they are within legal limits. It all goes back to responsibility.

There are some blowboaters who are truly appreciative when you slow down for a slow pass. Then, unfortunately, there are many others that hate you and your power vessel no matter how slow or how courteous you try to implement a pass. I could go on about their dysfunctional VHFs or remarkable ability to navigate the entire ICW on the wrong side but….ho,hum.

BTW, “No Wake” signs on private docks are ILLEGAL. This I know from a friend who is management level with the Corps of Engineers. A few years back at a gathering we discussed this issue. He advised that within a few months all dock owners on the ICW from north of Wilmington to Morehead City will be getting a notice pending fines. A couple of months later those signs were removed (most are now back, but that was several years ago).

I think it’s ludicrous that your guuuv fails to indicate “no wake zones” on charts. But I think I know the answer.

The “Rules of Navigation” cover just about every possible scenario for safe boat passage and collision prevention. However nothing beats a little common courtesy.

One of the reasons we went from a 28’er to the 40’ Hatteras we now enjoy is too provide us with a more “defense” from idiots and drunks in narrow channels jeopardizing or safety, comfort and enjoyment.

Not to be redundant (we tossed this around on a previous thread) but the only answer (UNFORTUNATELY) is mandatory boater education and certification (ie. more government).
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Quote Originally Posted by (Nobody You Know)

I think it’s ludicrous that your guuuv fails to indicate “no wake zones” on charts. But I think I know the answer.
    NC Wildlife Resources can issue a NW zone for "danger to public safety" only....not to protect property (boats etc.), or for habitat either.

Only the General Assembly can legislate a NW zone for whatever reason is brought before them...supposedly a new hire was to go back through all the GA paperwork and tease out all the legislated NW zones so they could be properly documented for boaters knowledge...as of today, the person hired has been assigned other duties

I cruise at displacement speeds on the West Coast Florida ICW and see GaryD from time to time. I can throw a big wake but I don't because I am cheap and just enjoying it my way same as Gary is enjoying it his way.

I do like the courtesy shown when larger boats approach and come off of the plane but a 43 Hatt can handle it if they don't. Similarly, I slow down and pull to the side for anyone who will pass without waking me.

Worse than someone driving fast and hitting me with a big wake are the graduates of Marine Max's Sea Ray Driver School . They believe that they should slow to idle until directly abeam of the slower vessel at which time they go to full throttle. This throws a wake that literally twists an idling boat sideways in the channel.

So I guess I would rather a boat not slow down if they don't know how to do it right.

Bruce
    Freestlye
    1976 43 DCMY
    Tampa

The issue about sails blanketing the captains visibility is more to do with the ROR stating that there must be an appropriate look out at all times. I have been forced to sail into a busy harbor a few times. In those cases, I have posted crew on the bow to ensure that we were clear of other boats. I think many sailors get seduced by the idea that just because they are under sail and power vessels "must give way"; they do what they want without regard for other vessels or the general safety of their boat and crew. I've argued this point with may sailors who just don't get it until I take them on a delivery on a large motor yacht.

It all comes down to common issues weather you are a power boater or a blow boater... common sense and common courtesy. I think that many people... boaters or not... are greatly lacking in both of these.

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Capt.Erich; 02-06-2007 at 11:05 AM.

Second story.

On Labor Day I had the pleasure of cruising the intercoastal from Ann Maria to Sarasota Bay. At Longboat Pass it is about 25 feet wide and shoaled to less than a foot on either side. It's one of GaryD's 25 mph zones.

As I cruised along at 9 knots, a poker run came by. Literally 40 boats passed me in this narrow channel at speeds of 60-100 mph. Sometimes one boat would pass on either side at the same time and almost collide when they rounded my bow. Most became airborn as they cleared my wake with their props 6 feet out of the water. If I had powered up to 16 knots and thrown my full wake in that shallow water I could have killed a lot of people.

Poker Runs look like a lot of fun but how do they get insurance for boats that go that fast?

Bruce
    Freestyle
    1976 43 DCMY
    Tampa

Hey Bruce.

If you would of been throwing a wake and one of those go fast guys got injured would it be your fault. As I understand it as of now maybe. But they were going 60+ mph in a 25 zone acting irresponsible. I have to say faced with the same situation I would of been cruising along at 25mph thinking nothing of it. LOL

Big and go fast are terms that the non boating public want to define.

Licensing schooling. Well lets see about 50,000 people die every year in car wrecks not including the severly injured. If we school and license boaters will we have similar success? I for one would like to keep it out of the governments hands. It would be much better to be self regulated.