Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

If it ain't broke...break it!

All alternators eventually wear out their bearings. Hence, damage to the brushes. On automobiles (with quiet engines) you can tell by the pitch of the sound coming out of an alternator it the bearings are worn. No big deal to replace or get repaired.

The question: when my diesels are running I am not (or would not) be able to hear if the alternators are "whinning" - that worn sound. As the boat is now 19 years old should I go ahead and have the alts rebuilt?

I'd hate cause serious damage when a little preventative maintenance would prevail.

Responses are appreciated.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Re: If it ain't broke...break it!

On trucks and heavy equipment, we just let 'em go until they fail. Once they are no longer working, we pull them and send them in to the local alternator guy for rebuild. In the last 30years, I can't remember having to buy a new one because he couldn't rebuild it. So, the short anwer is if it ain't broke, then run it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: If it ain't broke...break it!

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY
    So, the short anwer is if it ain't broke, then run it.
    Thanks Sky! That's what I needed to hear!
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."