Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
    Zrida Guest

Engine Experience?

I just got my 45C out of the yard I replaced all the the items that I could once a boat is out, cutlass bearings, prop cleaning and tuning, through hulls sea cocks and the list goes on to the tune of $$$$$$$. Since I addressed all the points in my survey (I have taken ownership in mid March) I have a made a list of the items I wanted to now address on the Engine and its surrounding counterparts. Since I am a NOVICE on these engines I am going to hire a recommended Mechanical group called DMCI out of Pompano Beach Florida. My list is more geared to maintenance rather than repair but my survey indicated two points that are unclear. Fuel Lines and High Pressure hoses. She is a 1987 which has 400 hours on each motor. These items are original and show no sign of giving me a present problem.
    1-Do they need to be replaced simply because they are
    1987? 2- Can I add a reservoir for my coolant so its easier to check and maintain? If so can I do it I am handy but insure. Thanks Tom

Soffer Guest

Yes & No

The fuel lines are 18 years old. We could debate the life expectancy of these lines, but if there's doubt, replace them. Should not be too hard to have a hydraulic shop fab new lines for you.

Never rely on an external coolant reservour to determine engine coolant level. Always check under the pressure cap. Yeah, I know that's a pain, but don't take chances with possible overheating a diesel - ever.

Genesis Guest

I would change ALL lines

Water, fresh and raw, fuel and oil hoses. DO NOT FORGET THE OIL HOSES!

Failed hoses are very bad news. At the best you'll be stranded. At the worst it can cause the loss of an engine or (if a fuel hose) even a fire.

Walter Pereira Guest

hose life

Amen to including oil hoses.... About 10 years ago while coming up the coast of Fla (off Cape Canaveral), my starboard engine oil alarm went off. I immediately shut down and opened up the engine room door. The place was an oily mess. After cleaning up the mess and determining what happened, we continued on to the next inlet on one engine. Fortunately it was an exceptionally calm day and we got to a marina and ordered a new hose. When we got to our home port I replaced all the hoses. Incidently, no damage to the engine.... clean living I guess....:rollin