Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: 36 Volt In Place Of 32V?

I don't say its the best way to do it and I would not. I only say that it could be done without major changes. The reason for the higher voltage to begin with is less current draw and less of a voltage drop over the wire run distance. Wiring would not need be changed. Like Sky said there are some things that would not tolerate the over voltage and would need to be addressed. It's not a change for the average guy to under take. Your better off staying with the 32volt system.

BILL

Smart chargers are available for 32V from Professional Mariner. They are small and light and work great and have a nice warrantee...........Pat
    Last edited by doc g; 01-31-2007 at 03:14 PM. Reason: spelling error

Smart chargers are available for 32V from Professional Mariner. They are small and light and work great and have a nice warrantee...........Pat

The largest I could find on their website was 18 Amp. Is that the biggest 32V they make or did I mis it?

Brian

Here's the link to the charger I have:
    http://www.majorpower.com/chargers/m...1000_specs.pdf

The only difference I see is that mine has a digital ref led readout instead of the analog needles. It seems to work fine. I add water about twice per year.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

OK you folks have convinced me this is not a good idea to many problems and un knowns.

Thanks for your input it was all logical thought from people that understand the problem including two replies with first hand experience.

Where else could you possably get this kind of information at the push of button?

I'm going to stay with 32V I may use 2 12V and one 8V to build the banks but I'm still looking into that. I think I will go with one of the Outback charger/inverter combinations. It would be nice to not have to run the generator when I just need a little AC power.

Thanks Again
    Brian

i use 8v golf cart batteries for my two main banks... about $320 for a set of four, delivered. that's plenty to crank 8V71s... Charger is a promariner, older, but with timer to cut down water usage.

i added a 12v inverter with 8 six volts Golf cart batteries, which is also used to run a few 12v circuits (eletronics, oil changer, ...)

i don't see what the big deal is with 32v system, besides maybe not being able to find all the stuff at the local WM. it works, why reinvent the wheel ?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I don't think mixing batteries is a good idea. Baisc electrical formulae are based on adding same voltages not dissimilar ones. 2 x 12 plus an 8 would have an issue of balance and I don't understand the need to reinvent the wheel if the 4 x 8v are available. They are $155 each for the big starting batteries but thats not a lot of money compared to electronics, engine repairs or even good fishing equipment.

q240z Guest

Since none of the currently available smart or dumb 32v chargers have an equilization function, which can dramatically extend battery life, has anybody installed a stand-alone equalizer? I've seen one somewhere online for people who live off the grid. It was around $150, I think.

I agree the 32V systems works great much better than 12V the only problem is that it's a thing of the past an odball. If at all possable or practical I like to get away from odball hard to find expensive stuff. The 8V batteries in my boat are the largest available the best price I got was $238 ea. If I can replace 6 of them with 4 12V 8D I will save $752 and at least partialy get rid of some expensive odball. But again I'm still looking into it one of our members tells me he has been set up like that for many years? The AH of the 12V is very close to the 8V.

I should also mention that my price on the 12V 8D is especialy good as we buy them by the pallet at work.

Brian

so to save a few bucks on batteries every 4 years, you're going to have to deal with a bunch of issues and probalby spend more fixing and troubleshooting ?

i don't know what engines you have but four 8v golf cart batteries works great with 8V71Ns and again, cost only $320 per bank, delivered. last batch lasted about 5 years, not bad in so florida with a dumb charger.

i'm not sure 32V is a thing of the past... it makes a LOT of sense on a larger boats where wire runs are longer. almost everything is available... ex most WM stock rule 2000 32v pumps... and some bulbs. not all, but some.

chargers and inverter maybe a little harder to find but can be ordered from a number of places...

i really dont' know what the big deal is !
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat