Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Re: 36 Volt In Place Of 32V?

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    You will cause one battery to need more charge than the others and may "cook" the other 2 upon charging. The only way to do this is with a converter or an equalizer. Read Calders chapter on this.

who is calders? Are you talking about a book?

Quote Originally Posted by ed.929 View Post
    I have several friends who have converted from 32v to 36v. The starters tolerate the increased voltage well as does the wiring and electric heads. In each case it was told that it was possible to adjust the alternator output sufficiently to charge the batteries. Each uses the genset all the time so I don’t know how well the engines alone would keep the charge. The latest conversion used a Dual Pro PS 12/24/36V 15A 3 Bank Waterproof Charger # DPPS153 which apparently worked well with AGM 12v batteries even to the point of identifying a bad battery in the 3 battery bank. I am going to convert my 32v system simply to eliminate about 200 pounds forward not to mention having to wrestle those 8 volt batteries into place. If anyone has any better information it would be appreciated.

as mentioned earlier on, there are no benefits... how will you save 200 lbs ?

as to wrestle those 8v batteries in place, i don't have that problem with 8v Golf cart batteries... they weight 60 lbs each...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I am going to try the conversion from 32 to 36 volts for starting. I already converted lights, refrigeration and inverter to 12 volts 14 years ago, but kept the 32 volt system for the starters and Windlass. I have had to replace the 8 volt batteries about every 4 years and can't physically do it any longer. They are under the galley in a cramped place and I don't have the strength to manhandle the 8-volt batteries in that cramped space like I could when I was young. I currently have TWELVE 6-volt house batteries and will make two 36-volt banks that can be paralleled. I will disconnect the 32 volt charger and the 32 volt alternator and charge the 36-volt banks with my 2000 watt solar system, setting one of my two charge controllers to 36 volts. My 12-volt system, which is lights, refrigeration, invertor and vacuflush heads will be switched from the lead-acid battery banks to a 200 AMP hour Lithium-ion battery. Now my only lead acid batteries will be located in the much better ventilated starboard engine room and I will no longer have to service lead-acid 8-volt banks in the cramped area under the galley floor. It also eliminates corrosive battery gases down there, which has killed several inverters over the years. I'll let you know how it goes and of any problems with the final configuration.

As mentioned 14 years ago when this thread was last active, you can use 8V golf cart batteries to start the DDs. If access is a problem in the genny room then move the start batteries to each engine room, I m pretty sure there is plenty of room outside the engines. I now have repowered to 12V Cummins. Each have a single 8D outboard of the engine. I know the DDs are wider but I m sure the 4 8V golf cart batteries could be mounted lengthwise along the hull. Unless you have stabs.

I would never have engines without alternators and rely on solar.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I had to convert to 36v 4 years ago because it was almost impossible to get hold of 8 v here in my neck of the world (venezuela). The only modifications I had to make was to change the Galley Maid Head pump breakers because the originals will not handle the new load. I also installed 2 Pro Sports 12 v chargers that can handle 3 banks each. ( one for each battery) I have had mixed results with them. They work OK with sealed batteries but not so good with the vented ones. I am in the process of modifying the venerable Sentry 32 charger . When you do your boating on third world countries you have to improvise. Good luck

Is the current down in SA 120 or 240 AC?

I am going to put in my 2 cents, last time I did this on this subject I was rejected. I switched the entire 58yf to 12 volt, more than 10 years ago. Spent about $6,000 on parts. Now every battery on board is a group 31, 3 Group 31s easily start a 8 71.

The tricky part is the heads, while your choices expand, some are expensive. I selected Jabsco Quite flush, and ithey have worked well. They only 25 amps.

There is nothing on board that can not be reliable or safe, at 12 volts.

The best part is i could carry 2 G31 batteries at the same time, i don't but i could and can install them alone.

1 G31 battery, 950CCA can be purchased under $100 deep cycles about $140 to $180

I would suggest 36 volt is going to shorten the life of some bulbs and motors,, (bildge pump, water pump, blowers, heads and waste pumps.

If this interests you PM me.

I am currently caring for almost 1,000 Group 31 batteries, 348 are deep cycle, and I have a grip on DC volts.

If you are riled up, let me have it, again.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

The current down here is 120 AC.