Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

It's time for HOYC

It occured to me that it's time for HOYC. Hatteras Owners Yacht Club. With the folks on this forum we could put together a non-profit corporation, and build it up to be the best thing going for boaters.

We could also donate $$$ to grow it.

Think in about 100 years with a 1000 slip marina with a nice welcoming sign to the HOYC. It would be the last bastion of refuge for the real boater. Our kids, grandkids, and great grandkids. It might be the only place left that they can get a slip on the water.

As someone jokingly said when Castro passes... Maybe we could get a satelite marina in Cuba.

Your thoughts??

Sure would be a blast to have several get togethers every year with kindred spirits.

Have fun using your boat garyd

Re: It's time for HOYC

Another idea would be to form our own insurance company. I have been reading the sad tails of rate hikes and dropped policies due to the age of some boats. I own a '64 and it wasn't exactly easy to get insurance. Anybody in the 'surance bisiness out there have any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by garyd
    It occured to me that it's time for HOYC. Hatteras Owners Yacht Club. With the folks on this forum we could put together a non-profit corporation, and build it up to be the best thing going for boaters.

We could also donate $$$ to grow it.

Think in about 100 years with a 1000 slip marina with a nice welcoming sign to the HOYC. It would be the last bastion of refuge for the real boater. Our kids, grandkids, and great grandkids. It might be the only place left that they can get a slip on the water.

As someone jokingly said when Castro passes... Maybe we could get a satelite marina in Cuba.

Your thoughts??

Sure would be a blast to have several get togethers every year with kindred spirits.

Have fun using your boat garyd
    Kind like the "Airstream Only" camp grounds that always seem to be full!

It's an interesting idea......
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Erich
    Another idea would be to form our own insurance company. I have been reading the sad tails of rate hikes and dropped policies due to the age of some boats. I own a '64 and it wasn't exactly easy to get insurance. Anybody in the 'surance bisiness out there have any thoughts?
    Hmmm wonder what it would take to become "self insured".....

Form a corporation, safely invest enough money, contributed by the members of the corp, to represent enough of a percentage of gross risk, to get a reasonable re-insurance premium.....

The hardest part would be figuring out the premium formula in a way everyone would consider it fair.

I know there are companies that are "self insuring" themselves for health, but don't know how they calculate the risk. It would seem a similar idea though. A mix of risks, everything from healthy 25 year olds to older folks with high blood pressure, with some chronic conditions thrown in for good measure.

I bet it's a pot of company money, backed by re-insurance.....
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

Yes I agree we could pool to get reduced insurance rates and probably real discounts from suppliers etc.

If it was a non-profit people could sign the HOYC as their beneficiary on all or part of their insurance policy or take out an additional policy just for the club.

It is I believe an idea that could grow slow and become a reality. Even if we started with a little bit of land and a mobile with one slip. But the ability to expand that property over the years. With all the guys on this forum it is definately doable.

garyd

Marine Trader has had an owners association for a number of years. They recently changed their name from Marine Trader Owners Association to Marine Trawler Owners Association, www.mtoa.net. Not limited to Marine Trader owners. It is a very active and helpful association. Many rendesvous and activities. One cool resourse is their "Port Captains". When planning a trip to a new area, you can call the port captain that lives in the area for local knowledge. I highly recommend it.

This sounds like a winner!
    ComEd in Chicago with 10,000+ vehicles is self insured. They could never afford an outside policy for that many cars and trucks. They hit you, you sue, they pay.
    With an owners group insurance co-op, there would be less likelihood of wanting to sue yourself. Theres not too many 60' HATT owners that blaze through no wake zones and make crappy claims etc are there? Hurricane coverage would have to be prorated somehow though. Even a stiff deductable would work, because we all know that HATT owners wont neglect there own or fellow owners/partners investments. Every member would have a say in the way that business is run. As far as HYC (Havana Yacht Club) goes, I would buy a dock-o-minimum in a second. Time shares could be worked into that also. 1 year in and 1 year gone. I would like to think property will be reasonable there until the capitalist imperialists get a toe hold. Stock up now on Levis, gum and cigarettes. Better than greenbacks. ws

Sounds like a great idea. Why not start with a club burgee and annual membership fee to get things rolling?

Well lets see how we use our boats.

1. Cruising and anchoring out
    2. Cruising from Yacht Club to Yacht club
    3. Fishing
    4. Livaboard
    5. stays in slip and we look at it
    6. We just work on it and it goes nowhere

We would like to get together for

1. Cruise-ins
    2. Fishing tournements
    3. All around good time.

I'm trying to nail down a mission statement.

I can contact a Florida attorney and see what it takes to set up a non-profit corporation. Help with this would be appreciated

have fun boatin garyd

to make insuranc work it would have to be hatteras bertram and chriscraft, need to sell engough policies to be able to pay claims and there will be claims. would have to have levels of primium, boats in restored conditon and or new condition, boats in good shape but not restored and boats under construction. From looking at what us auctions were selling, most boats were in poor condion prior to the hurricanes and appears owners did not care about them and let the storm take them.