Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Autopilot options - 43C

My Robertson AP stopped working a couple seasons back. I've checked all the connections, and they seem fine. I even opened up the unit to check for corrosion, and there was none. The unit powers up, and shows my course fine, and the hydraulic pump seems to be working ok as well. It just doesn't control my course, either automatically or manually with the dodge buttons.

First question is this... is it likely that the unit is repairable?

If so, where and by whome?

If not, are any of the components reusable/compatible with a new system? I have all Raymarine electronics in the boat now, so I would lean in that direction if I have to go new.
    Bob
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

2. Re: Autopilot options - 43C

Don't feel bad, mine powers up and shows 8888, but will show direction and will accept input..... Then does nothing....

According to my manual, the 8888 reading means the brain is fried.... (kinda like Randy)
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

3. Re: Autopilot options - 43C

The pump is about the only thing that is usable with the new ones.

I'd look at a Simrad.... I've always liked the Robertsons and the newer ones are improved over those.....
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Re: Autopilot options - 43C

If you look on Robertson's web site all of their models, past and present, are on there. They may also be able to tell you which control head would be easiest to plug in to the old components that are still good- the pump, the RF unit, the fluxgate compass. Maybe you don't have to replace the whole thing.

MikeP fixed his by just pulling apart every plug connection and spraying them with some sort of contact cleaner/anti-corrosion spray. You might try that before you replace it. And, if you replace it, I may be interested in the parts. You never know when mine might need something.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Try spraying the unit with deoxit. Its the best. You can get it on line for about $7. bucks a spray can. I have never found anything better or even close.

BILL

7. Autopilot options - 43C

Call Robertson on the phone. When I installed my new autopilot around year 2000 they were very helpful and assisted me in overcoming some uncertainties.
    If you can accurately describe the symptoms, likely they can diagnose it real time. Or give you a few tests to further isolate the problem.
    Good luck.

My 300 APX shows "compass error" on the screen. Any ideas where the fluxgate compass is?? How would a hand held controller attach to this unit?
    On another note, where is the gyro for the naiid stabilizers? ws

On my boat, a 1979 43C, the fluxgate is located under the bunk in the main stateroom forward to stbd.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

10. Autopilot options - 43C

All accessories normally attach to the junction (electronic control) box. You'd have to check a wiring diagram to see what terminals to use. Otherwise, perhaps the helm control display has an accessory plug?? mine does not.