Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Questions regarding Cummins 903's

Looking to move up to a larger Hatteras. I’m interested in 42-45' Convertibles. However, moving up from a smaller Hatt with gassers, the only thing I know about diesels is what I've read here.
    I may look at a late 70's 42' with Cummins 903 turbos with 410hp. The current owner states the following: "1600 original hours, all flex hoses replaced in 2006 and injectors benched, annually maintained by a certified Cummins mechanic."
    Questions:
    I know 903’s aren’t nearly as common as DD’s. Should I pass on a boat with 903’s? I've heard everything from stay away from any boat with 903's, to don’t worry about them, you’ll pay a little more for repairs but they are great engines.
    I consider 1,600 hours on a 28 year old boat as low, assuming the boat has been well maintained, what is a good estimate of additional hours before a rebuild is necessary?

If I come to terms on a boat I would definitely obtain an engine survey in addition to the hull survey however, I’m horrified when I read the costs of refits and rebuilds. I’d be eating cheese and crackers for a long time if I got hit with a bill like that. Any words of encouragement or discouragement ?

Re: Questions regarding Cummins 903's

We had a fleet of 64 903Ts--almost IMPOSSIBLE to get parts for.HEADS ESPECIALLY!! Pull them out and repower. IMHO ws

Red face Re: Questions regarding Cummins 903's

I wonder if the marine-version heads are different than the 'over-the-road' version of the VTA903? We have several of them in military vehicles/equipment and parts have never been a particular problem????? Most of the military versions are rated at 450 or 500hp.

Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

Re: Questions regarding Cummins 903's

Ours were stationary units for starting gas turbines.They were rated at 475. Severe duty, and they had a predisposition for cracking heads and liners. We dealt exclusively with Cummins Northern Illinois and they could only get recons that some outfit was buying as government surplus (?) New stuff for ComEd was N-A. Power kits and valves etc were another story tho...
    I think the Gov used them as power in personnel carriers. Cummins made a name with 6 bangers, but I never put much faith in the Vs-504s 555s or 903s. There is a market for them for the die hard fans though. I would consider some new 6's for my boat with their new designs. Even the old NTCs did o.k. for 230-350 hp range. Apples and oranges I guess. Heck, these days even Yanmars or Volvos are acceptable. Raisins and prunes LOL. ws