Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. spider cracks in Boston Whaler

We have a 1971 13' Boston Whaler that is on top of our Hatt and the inside is a mass of spider cracks. Sanding them all is not an option,it would take a year, but remember hearing, reading or seeing someplace of a thick paint that will fill in the cracks with just a couple of coats.
    Anyone know anything about this? For laughs and giggles I stopped at West Marine today and they had nothing-go figure.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

2. Re: spider cracks in Boston Whaler

I had a buddy who had the same problem with a bass boat, he had it rhino liner coated the same color as the boat, it is non-skid too. Gel coat cracks will transmit through most paint. I am not aware of anything else out there but maybe someone else might know.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

Re: spider cracks in Boston Whaler

Cracks are sometimes best left alone.

Often it's the result of inferior gel coat which is applied too thick or cured too brittle. My 1985 Chris Craft Scorpion had a bunch of them, but they were not structural - just ugly. The dealer told me it would not be worth trying to repair.

If the cracks are in a star pattern, it may be a different story. Someone has been tossing anchors in the dink or the coring (foam coring in the case of BW) is failing. If the latter, it should be addressed.

If you just want something to cover the inside of your Whaler, you should consider this product...

http://www.grizzlygrip.com/boats.asp

I have used it on my Jeep and an a work boat that I have. It is UV resistant and has held up for years of abuse and has excellent non-skid properties. It is easy to apply and less expensive than Rhino. Also, it comes in a wide range of colors.

No I'm not a dealer or affiliated with the company... just a happy customer

I have a sure fire way to get rid of them.....Give the boat to me... There are high build primers you can use but it still requires sanding. If it is really bad I would check in to the Rhino Liner as well. The only PITAs would be the front hatch and the plug.

I am working on my 13' Whaler as well. I spend way too much time and $ on this boat but there is something about them.
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

I need one too -- Ill gladly pick up ANYWHERE. Also need the roof top hoist. I suppose Ill hafta make one--Oh well. ws

7. Re: spider cracks in Boston Whaler

Would never give it away, have way too much fun with it. Taught my 3 oldest grandkids how to dock it this past summer (aged 12,10 and 8) so it didn't matter if they made a "Randy Dockage".
    Have actually "kinda had" the 10 yr old dock the Hatt one time and he did great (uh, not ready to do it alone yet!!!)
    Am sanding the outside to repaint and put the name "Ding A Ling" on it (Admiral's idea) then will attack the inside. It came with a 1999 Yamaha 30 outboard and we use nonstop.
    Something like the rino or grizzlygrip is what Ilm looking for. Its a FUN boat, not a show boat.......
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Are you leaving the varnished seats? I think a white Rhino type would do well and look great. Maybe they could add some color flake to match your boat trim. For the hatch and seats you could plane off a little on the ends and no problems. For that matter you could cover them in the trim color but you would need to plane the thickness of both the seats and the hatch as well as the ends.

Dang I think I just found another project......
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

9. Re: spider cracks in Boston Whaler

Nope, plan on replacing the wooden seats and front hatch cover with starboard as the wood is in bad condition (will have to do when the admiral is not around as she is opposed to this idea). The wooden console is salvagable.
    It does have cable steering, might change it out. Replaced the 6 gal tank last year with a 12 gal one.
    Also plan in installing a 48 qt cooler and a live baitwell in it......
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

I have a friend that has the most shiniest boat at the club. He uses no wax at all he just wipes his boat with mineral oil. He also uses it on his Corvette. It only works on gel coated cars and boat. He claimed that it removes all the spider cracks. I don't know. But his boat sure looks good and so does his vette. The best part it's cheap. It might be worth a try.

bill