Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Cold Weather Starting

Two tidbits from the Fleetguard (Cummins) website, likely applicable to most diesel engines...

"....Cummins Filtration offers both immersion heaters and remote-mount coolant tank heaters. Their purpose is to keep coolant and cylinders warm so that cranking power is used to heat the fuel, not the cold metals surrounding it. Because the combustion temperatures needed to ignite No. 2 diesel fuel are 550°F (285°C) to 600°F (315°C), warmed coolant is vital to the starting process, even in temperatures as warm as 50°F (10°C). Coolant should be maintained at a minimum of 120°F (50°C) for a diesel engine to start readily.

"... We offer both electrically and manually actuated starting fluid systems. All kits provide a measured shot of starting fluid into the diesel engine manifold on demand, which aids ignition at low ambient temperatures. Most kits include the most popular atomizers, which are color-coded for easy installation.

(Does Detroit offer this kind of kit??)

"...Lube oil heaters are needed to keep lubricant flowing freely so that full power is available immediately. Adaptable to all sumps, these heaters should be installed at a low point in the sump to allow heat to rise..... Special attention should be paid to wattage requirements according to system capacity and temperature in the environment. The use of 10 to 20 watts per quart of oil is recommended. In moderate climates, a thermostat is recommended in order to avoid charring or coking if wattage exceeds 10 watts per quart.

Re: Cold Weather Starting

Many DD's in trucks are fitted with starting fluid injection systems. They work fine, but are not recommended on the higher output marine engines.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Engine heaters are GREAT. I use the Wolverine oil pan heaters. I have gotten to the point where I just leave them on all the time unless the engines have just been run. After a day or two to cool down, especially in hot weather, I turn them back on. It's always June in my engine room.

4. Cold Weather Starting

Jim, I agree completely.
    When in my marina, before starting, I always warm my babies. I have 1200 watt block heaters in each engine. 45 minutes makes for a near smoke free start, and an hour or hour and a half gives me instant start and no smoke.

It seems turbo Detroits smoke a lot more than naturals, likely due to the bigger injectors. And if I have my genny running at anchor, I often load it with the block heaters because my load is normally low.

Jim, I put in a 20 amp, 120V line thermostat in the engine room as someone on the site sugested (hooked to a receptical into which the Wolverines are plugged). Can be set anywhere from 45 to 85 degrees. Works great - cost about $12. Don't need to lift floors or remember to plug/unplug. Another great idea from the forum. Regards, Bob K

Wink Re: Cold Weather Starting

Jim, what size Wolverine pan heaters did you install and which engines do you have? I installed a pair of Wolverines last year and so far, so good.

Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

On my Caterpillar 3116s I had 250watt Wolverines. I bought the same for the Cummins B370s that are going in. This is at the low end of what they recommend, however, most of the time Blue Note is plugged into a 15A receptacle (they keep promising to wire the dock for 30A but it doesn't happen, and the slip is so convenient and the people nice enough that I don't make an issue of it), so I don't want to put too much current draw on it. If I were in a regular marina I would probably still use 250w heaters for these engines; the heaters are on all the time, which they are made to do, and if you use pan heaters that are too large the oil can get too hot locally in the pan and allegedly can coke or get burned. (bad idea)

I would imagine that your boat has MUCH larger engines than mine. The rule, I think, is 10-20 watts per quart of lube oil. So- a Cummins B engine holds about 25qts, so 250-500 watts. Your engines hold more, so the wattage should be larger, but I would think 500 watts would do it. My source for these is Seaboard Marine in Oxnard, CA, Tony Athens, the diesel guru. There are a lot of ways to connect them, but they come with grounded polarized plugs on them and I just wired a receptacle to a spare 110vac breaker and plugged them in, and Bob's your uncle. They heat up FAST, by the way, so be careful touching them.

Jim-- what were thos 3116s rated at and gears? I am toying with a repower fantasy and just trying to put various numbers together. Are yer cats for sale?
    I run the 58 slow and lazy anyway and like the idea of straight 6s for streamlining. Thanks ws