Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Re/Re vs Repower

Same thing. Hatteras rated HP at the shaft@720. the brake HP was 735.

I think the best thing to do is to rebuild the engines you have. Have DD do them, and you will have a brand-new engine with a warranty. Then just remember to not run them at full throttle. This will both save you fuel and provide a long engine life. 1800 rpm should be fast enough for anyone, but you still have the option of going faster if needed.

By rebuilding you have the benefit of retaining the installation the boat was designed for, one that has proven itself over the years. No gearing changes, no new transmissions, no change in drive angle or shaft material, etc. All these new MANs sound fine, but I am seeing an awful lot of new boats around here with their hoods up and mechanics trucks outside.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Quote Originally Posted by Fanfare
    I think the best thing to do is to rebuild the engines you have. Have DD do them, and you will have a brand-new engine with a warranty. Then just remember to not run them at full throttle. This will both save you fuel and provide a long engine life. 1800 rpm should be fast enough for anyone, but you still have the option of going faster if needed.

By rebuilding you have the benefit of retaining the installation the boat was designed for, one that has proven itself over the years. No gearing changes, no new transmissions, no change in drive angle or shaft material, etc. All these new MANs sound fine, but I am seeing an awful lot of new boats around here with their hoods up and mechanics trucks outside.
    I have heard them refered to as "MAN grenades".

I have heard both good and bad about MAN engines. An acquaintance of mine built a custom F&S sportfish (Espadon) which was intended to have MTUs- I can't recall the reason, but they came out partway through the building process and MANs went in. He likes them fine, although the maintenance is fearsome- but it would be in any big boat, going that fast, and adhering to a tournament schedule. It gets fished year-round. Above about 660 hp Cummins seems to drop out of the Class E engine ratings, but CAT, DD/MTU, MAN and maybe a few others stay in.

With the cost of repowering, I would still advise majoring what you have in the boat if you can purchase the boat at a price that allows you to do that. Then follow Karl's extensive advice (this has been discussed several times hereabouts) to make sure you get a good major done right with all the suitable warranties. And then treat your boat well, and hopefully she will treat you well in return. Hatteras yachts are often good-tempered that way.