Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Re/Re vs Repower

The boat I am looking at purchasing requires engine majors [735hp 8v92],
    looking for all opinions on where my money will be better spent.

Re: Re/Re vs Repower

If you're asking whether it's worth rebuilding, yeah, the 8v92 is a great motor.

If you're asking whether it's wise to get into an old boat that needs majors off the bat, my guess is you probably would do better moneywise finding one with motors that are pretty fresh. For most boats I've seen on the market, a boat with acknowledged tired motors will sit on the market forever; guys who are serious about moving the boat will take care of what needs doing, and they'll never get 100 cent dollars on their rebuild costs. Let them take the hit.
    -- Paul

3. Re: Re/Re vs Repower

which model and year? The 8v92TA is what I put in my boat on repower (735 HP) these are hand grenades without pins at this HP. If not mis-handled you should get 2500 hours out of them. give us some more info and we can give better answers and clarify what we mean when we make statements.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

What about rebuilding them and derating them to a lower power output- or do you have to change too many things inside to make it worth it? Just curious, especially Karl's opinion on this. Frankly, I would be inclined to give up some hp if it bought greater longevity and reliability. What is a safe power rating in 8v92s, all other things being equal? 650hp?

I realize this isn't exactly what you asked...but it seems to me that if you could buy the boat right (REALLY right) it might be worth doing it, and protecting your new investment in the motors in the bargain...

5. Re: Re/Re vs Repower

The DD silver 8v92TA industrial high HP rating is only 470 Hp, compare this with the Pleasure Craft engines rated at 735 Hp or 760 HP. there is also another factor which is Detroit rates different applications full load duty rating at different RPMs. The industrial ratings maybe 2300 or 2100, but pleasure craft full load continous duty rating is at 1900 RPM! You have to know this or you can severely shorten the life expectancy of your engines. You can derate the engines by installing different injectors or changing the load factor by de-pitching or de-cupping the props or running at reduced rpm so the engine is producing less hp at a given load and rpm. The pleasure craft engines are severe duty and are capable of high HP output for short periods of time.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

Bayside Deisel in Mystic , Ct told me yesterday that they have a deal on a pair of new 700hp Man Deisels.. I beleive he mentioned 35 % off ,just over $100,000 for the pair .. Don't know anything about Mann but George Burnside is the person to contact for further info and Bayside has a good reputation..

The motors are 1982 8v92ti high output, and I am almost sure that he is running smaller injectors for fuel comsumption.

Try to find out which injectors are in the engines (model #). Ours are 9A31s.

Which model Hatteras are we talking about? HP rating from the factory on our 1983 46' High Perf model with 8V92s is 650hp (Covington Conversions). I believe any of the 8V92s of this vintage that are rated at 735hp have been modified.

The model is a 46c with the High Performance decal on the side of the salon under the Hatteras emblem. As far as the injector size I will try to get the size this weekend.

10. Re: Re/Re vs Repower

I've got an '89 48 CNV with 720 HP 8V92TAC's, these are Covingtons. My understanding was the Johnson & Towers were 735 HP and the Covs were 720. Not sure of the difference.......Thx