Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mikep996 Guest

"Brigadoon" now at its new home!

We brought our "new" 1980 53MY "Brigadoon" home to Northport from Riverside, NJ over the past 3 days. Most of the first day - 100NM from Riverside to Cape May was in conditions with heavy spray constantly covering the windshield. The wipers were running the whole time. Deleware bay was really sloppy - spray bouncing off the flybridge. We ran about 12 knots the whole time. Boat was great. The part that made us feel really good was at Cape May in the marina when a fisherman, commenting about the weather that day and how badly the WX forecaster had missed it, pointed to his 57ft Sport Fisherman and said, "That's a 30 knot boat and we were doing 8 or 9 and holding on for dear life."

Trip up the coast the next day - Cape May to NYC was in pretty strong following seas with considerable surfing down the waves followed by looking up at the sky and then resurfing. With the same power setting as the day before we saw instantaneous GPS speed reading go from 9 to 16 knots.

12 hours after starting out we were pulling into Liberty Landing Marina on the Jersey side of NYC. The only "failure" of anything occurred that evening. As darkness fell we were about 1/2 hour from the Verrazano Bridge. I turned on the nav lights. Oops, stern light was on and masthead light was on but no port/starboard lights. We turned on theexterior lights above the side doors to ensure we were visible. Arriving at the marina area the searchlight would have been very helpful. Oops, searchlight not working. The 4 cell maglite worked well enough and we got into the marina just fine. Well...except for the fact that the lines were too short. The particular slip had cleats very widely placed - really set up for a much larger boat. And the wind was now quite strong from the beam, wanting to blow the boat away from the slip.

We had plently of lines but it was obvious from their length that Brigadoon had never needed a couple of 70 ft lines. It did now! After considerable futzing around and losing control of the bowline twice, we finally managed to tie some lines together and get the boat secured to the dock.

I found it a bit annoying that people aboard a 60 footer that we were docked stern-to-stern with, made no effort to assist us. With the wind and the shortness of the lines, it would have been useful. THey just watched. Didn't ask if we could use a hand or anything. Maybe it's me, but I figure boaters should at least OFFER to assist other boaters. Maybe those folks have never had any problem with docking/wind and figure anyone that does shouldn't be boating anyway.

Anyway, got it all sorted out and spent a comfortable night. Breakfast the next day and a leisurely start up the east river to the LI sound. No problems at all, nice trip and very scenic. Not much traffic on the east river at all.

Arrived at Northport around 3:30 and with the same strong wind from the beam, gave up on trying to back into the slip. Went in forward - we'll spin her around today.

What a great boat - no mechanical issues. I mentioned the higher temp (191) on the Port engine (175 on the starboard) but it held that temp the whole trip and seemed perfectly happy. Looking at the log book kept by the previous owner, the two engines have been holding the same temps since the mid 90's when it was overhauled.

However, I absolutely agree with everyone else on this site that the temp is too high and I will resolve that over the winter. Definitely will get CCV's ASAP. I could see oil from the breathers had deposited on the air cleaner's interior surface which, of course, means it is also deposited on the turbos and heat exchangers.

That's enough for now...We are headed down to the boat as I write this to clean it up and begin winterizing . Can't wait 'till spring!

Dave Phipps Guest

Brigadoon

MikeP,

Congratulations Mike! Keep us informed of your journeys and projects.

Dave

skammtoo Guest

Brigadoon

Welcome home!!

K:rollin

PascalG Guest

Brigadoon

congratulations!!! glad it went well.

maybe those folks who were jsut watching just never go out and have forgotten what it is to deal with strong Xwind and a new boat.

winterizing? ouch... sorry about that! :-)

pascal
    miami, fl
    70 53MY

uniquename Guest

Brigadoon

congratulations and good luck,
    glad your first adventure was "uneventful".

"Salty"
    38' aft cabin Hatteras
    bayport ny

double eagle Guest

new boat

congrats
    hope you will consider joining the 1510 club
    we would love to see your boat at the next rend in the chesapeak area...
    winterize....keep it simple ....come to fla for the winter
    glad your trip went well.
    double eagle [ in marathon fla ]
    bill

jim rosenthal Guest

Yes, Bill...

...you aren't winterizing either are you:rollin . Mike, glad you had a good trip with no serious glitches- for a new boat to you and a hard trip in bad weather you got real lucky. And if you hadn't brought all those fuel filters trust me you would have needed them:lol . When do we get to see photos...too bad the folks in the next slip didn't help. I have been there. You would think they'd have better manners.

Red face Re: "Brigadoon" now at its new home!

Late night rambling???????
    Life is good!

Re: "Brigadoon" now at its new home!

Welcome home, Good luck with the boat.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Re: "Brigadoon" now at its new home!

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    Welcome home, Good luck with the boat.

JM
    Did you notice the original thread was started in 2004? He's moved since then and dropped the 996.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI