Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Eisnglass care

Eisnglass care

I read in a mag a couple months ago about waxing the E-glass. Does anyone do this and what type of wax is used? Almost finishrd prepping the 36 express, wil post pics when all done.

Thanks

Adam

Re: Eisnglass care

I would not recommend wax.

There's a product made special for this. Aquatech Strataglass Cleaner & Protectant. I get it at my local canvas shop. Works well.

Quote Originally Posted by captadamr
    I read in a mag a couple months ago about waxing the E-glass. Does anyone do this and what type of wax is used? Almost finishrd prepping the 36 express, wil post pics when all done.

Thanks

Adam
    Glad to hear that Adam...Our 36,"Unity", is safely in Miami, and I am freezing my *#@*^ off in Detroit.

Post Re: Eisnglass care

I had good success with IMAR products on my strataglass. There is a web site for strataglass and Crystal Clear 20-20 that discusses care and mainteneance.

I don't know what you guys might think of this, but we always used Pledge on the eisenglass. It seemed to fill the small scratches. I don't have any canvas on my ED, though, except a couple of seat covers and a bimini top. I love having a boat with no eisenglass to maintain.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

My Uncle owns a canvas shop and he was out at the boat the other day.
    I ask him what should I clean the Eisenglass with? He told me the to use Pledge, not to use the lemon pledge. But plain Pledge.

Steve

WAY MAKER

I have also heard about using Pledge. The canvas guy that has done all of the Strataglass in my last 4 or 5 boats has told me DO NOT USE PLEDGE! The Strataglass cleaner does work OK, but it seems kind of wimpy and watery to me. The product that I like best is the cleaner/polish from EZ2CY. Its in an aerosol can and stays put when you spray it on. Curiously, it acts and smells alot like Pledge. Whatever it is, It does a great job on cleaning and polishing Strataglass.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric
    Curiously, it acts and smells alot like Pledge. Whatever it is, It does a great job on cleaning and polishing Strataglass.
    Might as well go ahead and try it on the furniture!

I too had a canvas maker tell me some years back it's OK to use Pledge.

My biggest problem however is the glass (plastic) that gets the noon-late afternoon sun exposure. It develops a foggy like appearance (ultravilot damage I guess).

Capt'n Bill
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

PLEXUS - great stuff. A lot of the big sportfish guys use it. Buy it below or shop the net a little to see if you can get a better price.

http://www.autogeek.net/plexplasclea.html

Here's another vote for PLEXUS for both Strataglas and EZ2CY. My Strat still looked good after 10 years .... the threads and other materials just wore out.
    Also, the EZ2CY was one reason my last boat sold.

exsailor