Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1996 65' Enclosed Bridge

Saw a Yacht World link to this boat on another site. Looks nice.

http://tinyurl.com/y8458e

Re: 1996 65' Enclosed Bridge

Just to put this in perspective...the SS United States, which is faster than this boat (but takes longer to get to its' top speed) sold at one point for 2.5 million.
    However, the dockage and haulout expenses for the United States are a lot greater. Not to mention taking all the asbestos out of her...actually this doesn't put anything in perspective, but I thought it was entertaining that for only 2.5 times the asking price for this boat, you could have at one time bought the greatest passenger liner that ever floated.

wow, Jim that's realy something to chew on. I could fit a lot of my friend on the US, but I don't think I could aford that gas to get it off the dock.

This started me thinking, which is always a dangerous thing...I emailed Norwegian Caribbean Lines, who own the SS United States; there is an engineering study going on to figure out the cost of a complete rebuilding of the ship. I hope I live to see it; she is my favorite liner of all time.

The good news is that you could own this boat for less than 1 million. Now let's see, how many boat bucks is that, hmmmm?

One of the founding members of our yacht club bought the SS United States a few years back with a number of business partners. I believe they originally bought it for around $6 million and had it brought to Turkey to have it stripped of asbestos. The ship was towed back to the US and is now berthed in Philadelphia. I believe he had bought out his partners in the meantime. A couple of years ago, he passed away and I believe that his estate liquidated it and sold it to NCL. There is currently an organization that is working with NCL to try to restore it, however, it currently looks in pretty sad shape. The person from our club was Edward Cantor. One of his other "boats" was "The Other Woman" which is now know as "The Islander", a 192' Motorsailer that is still for sale for $22.5 million. The boat was also featured in the original brouchure for the Maybach when it was launched a couple of years ago.

If I remember correctly, the SS United States still holds the record for crossing the Atlantic in one direction. I also think that the ship had 250,000 hp and could do approx. 50 knots.
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

Interesting fact - TITANIC only cost $7.5M to construct back in 1912.........

That's only $2.5M more than it cost to build the 66' Hines Farley TRIPLE CROWN a couple of years back. But then again, how many flat screen TVs did TITANIC have?

http://powerboat.about.com/b/a/175779.htm
    Last edited by Capten; 12-04-2006 at 01:07 PM.