Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

'86 Hatteras 32 open

This model seems pretty nice. Especially below for an express model. The few things I don't like are the prop pockets, balsa cored hull, and, I suspect, fiberglass fuel tanks. Does anyone have any real world experience with this model. Performance, handling, core problems. I was originally looking for a Blackfin 29 because of the solid fiberglass hull but this boat seems pretty nice for about the same price and bigger.

Re: '86 Hatteras 32 open

I have a 32' with the flybridge. It's the same boat.
    Anything that you may want to know, I'll try to help.
    Mike

This was my bro's old boat and he loved it! He only sold it cuz he had 2 kids and the whole family didn't fit inside very well.....it's freshwater only and is for sale again....don't know much about the owner after him tho....

http://www.bbyacht.com/boat899.html#
    "Yachtzee"
    1976 36C Hatteras
    Catawba Island, OH

My son has an '86 32 express and loves it. They were the only boat delivered by Hatteras in gel coat. His has since been painted. I don't believe the hull, below the waterline, is cored. Jim Wynne is the designer. He also designed the later model 36 and several other boats for Hatteras. We have an '86 36C and both the 32 and 36 are true battlewagons. They are great handling boats, and yes the prop pockets and keel are good things. The boats track straight, run smoothly through rough water, and don't throw the water on you. They do make an awesome wake though. This is a problem in no wake zones. Read the magazine article on the brochures section of this, (Sam's Marine), web site, it has lots of good info.

I have a 1985 32' Hatt with flybridge and twin 315 Yanmar diesels. It's a heavy boat for 32' and although it is a modified V, it is as close to a true deep V bottom as one can get; performance depends on what power it has. I was told that gas models don't have great performance, but then I believe that depends how fast you want to go. My performance is great.

As far as the prop pockets are concerned, I had another 32' years ago and ran across a sand bar. The paint was stripped off the keel, but because the props are above the keel the props were never touched. It did suck sand up into the intakes. Some people criticize prop pockets as reducing handling, but I've never seen that was a problem for me. However, if very rough water when I've been slow trolling, my props have come close to the top of the water when a following sea has lifted the stern out of the water and I can hear the props spinning in the wash. This has been rare though.

On core, the bottom is solid fiberglass, the core is from the water line and up. On my present 32' had water intrusion on the bow deck where the windlass switches are thru the deck. We had to take out the core and replace it with foam (from underneigth) and fiberglass over the foam. This was a big disappointment, but I found out that this is not uncommon in most boats and will happen when post factory things are installed where there is core and the cutout is not apoxied inside; caulking doesn't protect it over time.

Thanks guys for all you replies! This website alone makes me want to buy a Hatteras!
    OhioHatteras-- That is the exact boat I am looking at! Most of my concerns have been answered by all of you folks. I suspect the engines are tired having 1500 hrs on 454's. How long ago did your brother sell it? Did he have any problems? I would like to cruise at 25 mph at 3500rpm. Can anyone confirm if that is reasonable or realistic? The ads specs say 23 mph cruise and 28mph wide open. It seems like wide open should be a little faster. My 38 egg will go 26.5 at 4000rpm. Also the specs say the fuel tank is aluminum
    over steel. Does that mean it is aluminum tank on a steel frame? Seems like that could set up some galvanic corrosion.
    I know most all boats are cored of some kind now but it seems to me that we built fiberglass boats to get away from wood. Anyhow, it is all a mute point if I cannot sell my boat. My father left me his 1990 38 Egg Harbor when he died but it is just too big for what my wife and 2 young boys want. We want a boat to go to the beach and swim, an occasional overnight and occasional fishing trip. The Egg is about 28,000 lbs, 15 ft wide, and draws almost 4 ft. A little tough to get into the beach.
    Last edited by sammidog; 11-08-2006 at 09:57 PM.

sammi .......you have a PM
    "Yachtzee"
    1976 36C Hatteras
    Catawba Island, OH

The Egg is a sweet boat as well. You would not be downsizing
    a whole lot. The Hatt draws 3'. You will not reach the cruising
    speed that you are looking for efficiently. My 32' will get 23 knots
    wide open. The 32' is a great day boat and cruises 2 nicely.
    You may want to rethink the benefits of the Egg.
    Mike

I looked at the 38 egg while I was looking for a larger boat. I had a 28 express cruiser that we did exactly what you are looking to do. Short days mostly and slept aboard. Three people and a dog ( 60 Lbs) mad it too small. I found out if the wife aint happy with the boat you wont get to use it much. Try a season on the 38 before you move down.

I didn't really tell the whole story. There are financial reasons to sell the Egg. While the boat was left to me, there was a stipulation that my sister gets her half of the value of the boat. While I could afford to take out a loan to pay her I am not interested in doing so. There are also personal reasons. While the Egg is a fantastic boat it will always seem like it is "my dad's boat" and not mine. This past summer was my full year with it so it is not a quick decision. You all have interesting, valid points. Before we aquired the Egg our family boat was a 1956 26 ft twin engine Chris Craft Continental. Strictly a day boat with no head. Even a 29 Blackfin is a step up so I'm not too concerned with the wife. Her stipulation is it must have a head and fridge. With gas a $3/gallon extended cruising is not expected. My boys are 2 and 5 years old so we would probably only sleep over 2 or 3 nights a year. It will be mostly a day boat for weekends.