Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

new anchor roller

added this to our 34c
    Last edited by 67hat34c; 05-19-2009 at 03:21 PM.

Talking Re: new anchor roller

Looks like something on a small boat.

Don't think the aft facing small chain port is a good thing at all. Facing aft will make for akward deploying of the anchor and the small hole virtually mandates a splice of the rhode to the chain (in lieu of a thimbal).

As far as the "davit" goes it might be OK.

Capt'n Bill

At this writing approximately 1,333 Hatteras owners are actively looking to MOVE UP! (well...that's how many are presently listed on Yachtworld.com)

3. Re: new anchor roller

Hey, is that Sampson post original? I understand the reverse hole, it makes it practical to feed it back into the locker after you have pulled the anchor back aboard. I would recommend a hawse pipe with a rain cap, that would make it really easy to put the rode back in the locker. Have you used it yet? Cool!
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

Re: new anchor roller

original post. and yes the rope is attached directly to the chanin to fit throught the hole.

We did use the rig and it works very well. the mount is solid fiberglass with epoxy resin, used severl different types of glass, very strong. faired it and painted with awlgrip.

5. Re: new anchor roller

It is fun to do your own projects. Hey Captn Bill, it is a 34, not the USS Arizona. LOL

Cheers!
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish

6. Re: new anchor roller

Quote Originally Posted by (Nobody You Know)
    Looks like something on a small boat.
    Some of us on here think anything looks like "something on a small boat" if it's less than 50 feet! How big is your Hatt again?

Hey Steve, looks good to me Bubba. That could be a bad thing though, you may want to remove it if I like it!

I'm still going to have to change my pulpit to handle the plow I bought for my 58. I bought a new roller assembly, but I haven't had time to mount it yet. My pulpit is equipped with interchangeable parts for such things as different anchor types, but Ideal doesn't make the parts anymore. Guess I'll just have to make do.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

Steve It looks good but you should post the picture of it from the side it shows what you did much better. But then again I can do that
    Attached Images
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

8. Re: new anchor roller

Quote Originally Posted by Boss Lady
    Hey, is that Sampson post original? I understand the reverse hole, it makes it practical to feed it back into the locker after you have pulled the anchor back aboard. I would recommend a hawse pipe with a rain cap, that would make it really easy to put the rode back in the locker. Have you used it yet? Cool!
    Hey, my 41DC has the same deal, and it's a pain in the butt to feed rode into it. I believe it is original. The hole is too small, and there is not enough space between it and the windlass so it has to be fed one foot at a time while operating the windlass. Oh well, I'm not too fond of poking extra holes in my deck for things that I just don't have to have. But the hawse pipe and rain cap is a much better set up.

I have a hawse pipe on my 58 which is located to automatically feed chain from the wildcat. There is another through the deck for rode which someone obviously added as an afterthought. It's in the wrong place to take full advantage of the split anchor locker, and they didn't do a good job sealing it either. Now there is a soft spot on the deck around it. Oh well, add it to the list of things to do AFTER I get both wings flapping again.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

There is an easy way to get the rope back in the locker. I have an 8 year old bilge rat that does it so well and he can even fit in the anchor locker if he wants to.

10. Re: new anchor roller

LOL, I like the idea of useful jobs for the crew, it keeps their minds off mutiny!
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish