Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oven venting

Oven venting

We're going through a complete galley renovation including replacement of the original appliances. Above the old oven is an empty cavity that appears to vent to the outside at the forward end of the galley window. However, there is no vent pipe in this space. I'm installing a GE Advantium convection microwave where the old oven was located and prefer to have this unit vented rather than recirculating the fumes. I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, etc. from anyone who has done a similar replacement. I'm particularly interested in feedback as to whether or not I should install ducting in the empty space and, if so, whether it should be double-walled, hard pipe or would flex suffice?

Southern Comfort
    1977 Hatteras 58 YF

Re: Oven venting

I can't comment on the piping, but I sure would like to see some pictures when you have it complete. The Admiral keeps bugging me about doing this same job. I would also be interested in how you like the Advantium over a convection micro.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

An interesting feature of the boat is that there is a vent almost right there. If you look at the exterior port side of your galley roof walls, along the walkway right next to the forward seating on the forward deck, you'll likely see a factory exterior vent for the forward head. This vent is a 110V A/C vent you or your guests may never use. It seems like it could be converted into a galley exhaust vent either by removing the head vent or by sharing the vent outlet by having two tubes meet at the exterior vent outlet at an acute angle so there wouldn't be backpressure into the other vent pipe.

The vent can be reached by an access panel to the space up under the exteroir bench seat, which on my boat is in the back of a galley cabinet that is the starboard most forward cabinet. Mine looks factory, but it may have been moved by a P.O. If you have no access, you could cut one, but gott'a be careful because who knows what pipes or wiring may have been thrown in there over the years. WHen I look in mine, all I see is the head vent pipe and motor.

Doug Shuman

On My 43 I have a vent and tube coming and going some where. The hood that was over the stove is gone and someone just pushed the tube back into the space. Maybe yours is the same way. The vent goes out to a clam shell on the side of the boat. I don't find any evidence that there is a fan in line.

BILL