Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Boating Blunders

Someone sent me a pretty funny video of "boating blunders" that I thought the rest of the group might enjoy. I've parked it on an unpublished link on my website:

http://www.marineinnovation.com/funny/loveboat.wmv

Some of them are of the "oh, that had to hurt" variety, and may not come across as funny to some, but those can be taken as lessons of what not paying attention on the water can end in.

Enjoy!

-Ed G.
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

Re: Boating Blunders

HAHAHAHAH! That was TOOOO funny! THANK YOU Ed!

I got the whole family together for that one they thought it was Americas Funniest Home Video and i think it was but water related
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

The wife sent me that yesterday. Did anyone see a hatteras there?

5. Re: Boating Blunders

That was funny. Just goes to show you how unaware people are of the physics involved with safe boating. It is amazing that most humans survive for as long as they do!
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

Those are classic, but I will not admit to painfully relating to some... er... several... um... any.

Reminded me of one summer during college. I worked at a marine supply store on LI, NY. (S.T. Preston & Sons in Greenport) The summer was the year VIKING came out with their 47 footer ('79??).

Hanging out in the side doorway (which was a constant & a big No-No), overlooked the store's fixed docks, Greenport harbor & Shelter Island. Coming towards the docks was an obviously brand-new, shiney & BIG Viking. Something about the approach said 'I'm bored, what should I do now? I know I'll buy a boat!!' and required watching.

The guy pulls in bow first until he's between two of the docks & begins to spin her around to tie up bow out. The problem was the side of the center dock he was on was (and still is) only about 40' wide. He wedges the Viking between the two docks.

His solution was to gun the engines to force the boat to complete the spin. Well... the center dock would only sway so much & the Viking wound up perpendicular to the docks, with each side of the transom blocked by pilings and the centerline of the transom against the stringer of the center dock. In a classic case of poetic justice, the pointy-end (as I'm sure he called it) happened to be jammed between a pair of sistered pilings on the other dock.

This boat wasn't just stuck, she was absolutely pinned in.

It took close to 90 mins & a chainsaw to get her out of there. Most of that time was arguing what to cut off: the pilings or the bow.
    Last edited by SeaSwick; 10-25-2006 at 11:30 PM.
    Ford V. Swick
    1960 Trunkcabin41 SeaSwick (3rd owner)
    1968 16' Boston Whaler Nauset w/Merc 115 (Orig owner)
    Real Whalers are blue inside
    1971 Buick GS Conv. (orig owner)
    UltimateSwanPhoto.com

those are funny.
    the best part is you can have this kind of entertainment almost any weekend, go to any public launch ramp and sit and watch.

jim
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUE_NAME
    those are funny.
    the best part is you can have this kind of entertainment almost any weekend, go to any public launch ramp and sit and watch.

jim
    I've heard it said many times that the best entertainment in the world is a six pack and a boat ramp!

Wonder why they don't build bleachers at public ramps?
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

roflol
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C