Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Liquid Asset Really Bugs Me

Just got back from the ER where I learned a large and still growning insect bite was the result of playing on Pat's boat.

You may recall from my "Maiden Voyage From Hell" thread that my buddy was bitten by what was assumed to be a brown recluse spider while we were in FL. When I woke up this morning, I had a small bite on the inside of my left bicept. By this afternoon, it was the size of a half dollar, very red, and very swollen. My first thought was, oh hell, I've got spiders on my boat.

After seeing the bite, the ER doc concluded I had been bitten by an ant. I told him Pat's boat had ants, but I didn't know they could bite. I immediately called Pat on his cell and demanded he reimburse me the $100 deductible on my health insurance! Yet another reason to go shopping for a laptop tomorrow.

I was dressed in my customary Hatt apparel when I went to the ER. The nurse asked me if I had been fishing last night. I told her I hadn't been fishing, but I did do a little trolling and failed to catch anything. Like some of you guys, she laughed 10 minutes later!

BTW, I asked the doc if it was okay to drink alcohol with the meds he prescribed as I was headed to FLIBS with partying obligations. He said, and I quote, "Booze it up!". I asked if I could get that in writing as to say I was following doctor's orders. He said "no way, but have a couple of drinks for me, would ya". I told him I would, so don't anybody blame me if I have two too many.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

Re: Liquid Asset Really Bugs Me

I can't promise ants, spiders or anything exotic, but if we do the marina-hopping tour Wed. I'll see what I can work up -- maybe a strategic "out-of-boat" experience for you via a well-timed tackle into a pod of man-o-wars or something. Let me see what I can do on short notice.
    -- Paul

Well, to look at the serious side of this, I usually set off a couple of this bug bombs a couple of times per year on my boat. I can't promise you won't get bitten, but I do think it helps to control those critters.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Smile Re: Liquid Asset Really Bugs Me

Quote Originally Posted by FREEBIRD
    BTW, I asked the doc if it was okay to drink alcohol with the meds he prescribed as I was headed to FLIBS with partying obligations. He said, and I quote, "Booze it up!".
    (In sticking with the original thread) Reminds me of a check up three years ago. The Doc said OK to drink some wine every night. That moment was one of few rare where I kept my mouth shut (first reaction was to ask how much). He didn't say and I didn't ask (hic).

Here's to your expedient recovery.

Capt'n Bill

The glittering jewel of exempliary Forum ettiquet (hic).

5. Re: Liquid Asset Really Bugs Me

Hey Randy,

I know if I stand next to you I will be safe, bug bites and lightning strikes! LOL
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

6. Re: Liquid Asset Really Bugs Me

I may have to rethink my decision to come down there and go to the show. It may be hazardous to my health...

Yall know Randy is blaming this on my boat, but when he took his first ride in his boat his guest went to the Hospital for a bug bite from his boat.

I can't say I dont have any bugs on the boat, but somhow I think they are my Guard Ants since I came back to the boat at 3am to find Randy sitting at my Dinette after letting himself in while no one was aboard.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

I don't know how he could conclude you have been bitten by an ant, unless he saw it. Most of these so-called "spider bites" are not bites at all. They are infections with MRSA, and they need appropriate antibiotic treatment AFTER the physician surgically drains it. PM me if you want to discuss it, and put your phone number in. This is something we struggle with every day in my line of work.

9. Re: Liquid Asset Really Bugs Me

Since, as the saying goes:

Sharks don't bite lawyers........

Then why would a bug bite Randy ???
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

10. Re: Liquid Asset Really Bugs Me

Randy lease on using my computer has expired!

-edited by Pat
    Last edited by Liquid Asset; 10-23-2006 at 10:53 PM.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website