Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Another Boating Accident

A few years ago, I took care of a fellow who had his leg crushed when a fork lift truck ran into him and squeezed his lower leg against a concrete loading dock. Despite coming right to the ER, right to the operating room, thence to a trauma center, etc- he did badly. He not only lost the leg in question, he lost (as a result of shock, multiorgan failure etc) most of the other leg and part of one arm as well. He was in his twenties, and perfectly healthy until that accident. His life was ruined, and I still think about his case. Limb loss injuries are bad, but they are a great deal worse than even most people think they are- in many cases, the complications just don't stop coming. The initial injury is the tip of the iceberg.

As one of the people above mentioned (or maybe it was another thread), there's no justification for NOT making sure that all the folks you take boating are aware of the basic safety rules.

Quote Originally Posted by FREEBIRD
    Torced?
    FORGIVE ME!! I just a igorant Georgian. I'll give you the French version: "torqued"!

"Torc" (Websters Revised Unabridged): "same as torque". (thought it was a better word than p_ _ _ _ d.

And you are of the few members who put feeling into your responses.

Capt'n Bill
    "The musics playing faster than I can dance".

I sent this to a couple of friends that drive me absolutely NUTS by getting on the platform for docking. Heck, I picked one of them out of the water one night (yes, it was dark) because he went to retrieve a raft and fell off while the boat was moving. Fortunately, I was on my way home from the same raft-up and saw the boat circling, which could not get close because the captain couldn't see him from the helm. He still thanks me for saving his life (a little over-dramatic to me), but STILL climbs down there when docking......

If you want to be back there during manuevers, get a cockpit!
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

Sad! Seems like every weekend in the summer we read of another boating accident on Lake Lanier.

At least by letting others read about this stuff hopefully someone will be thinking.

Sacre' Bleau!

Capt'n Bill
    (JSYK, I don't use Michilins any more, nor stay in Motel Six, nor drink anymore French wines). Hey, I like that, that'll be my new quote!

Quote Originally Posted by (Nobody You Know)
    Sad! Seems like every weekend in the summer we read of another boating accident on Lake Lanier.

At least by letting others read about this stuff hopefully someone will be thinking.

Sacre' Bleau!

Capt'n Bill
    (JSYK, I don't use Michilins any more, nor stay in Motel Six, nor drink anymore French wines). Hey, I like that, that'll be my new quote!
    Well, there was one in which someone presumably fell off a jet ski due to a boat wake.....

He was in a no-wake, and tipped over, never to be seen again. Some people saw him go over and called for help. The only thing they ever found was that the jetski was stolen, along with the 2nd one on the trailer behind his truck.....there is some speculation as to whether or not he actually became catfish food.

There was another a few days later that I can't recall the details of. While we have a few collisions, it's fewer than one would think if you ever see the lake on a busy Saturday. Most of our boating accidents are of the "jumped off the boat and never came up" type. There's a lot of "stuff" in this lake, which gets a lot closer to the surface when the lake starts dropping.
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

Quote Originally Posted by egaito
    While we have a few collisions, it's fewer than one would think if you ever see the lake on a busy Saturday.
    It's been a few years but we used to boat there. Kept a SR at Lan-Mar. On the 4th of July you can practicaly walk accross the lake on the boats!

Bet that jet ski thief/operator didn't have on a life jacket!

Capt'n Bill

“You can either always be loved or you can always be right, but you can’t have it both ways”.
    Captain Hoby Buffington