Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another Boating Accident

Woman Loses Foot in Boating Accident 10/18/06

A 60-year-old woman from Indian River lost her foot Friday, October 16th. when she fell off her cabin cruiser as it was trying to dock at the Silver Fox Marina in Summerside on Prince Edward Island, Canada.

The boat was being backed into its berth at the club. Lea Brown was on the diving platform trying to push the 30-foot cruiser away from another boat docked nearby when she lost her balance.

Police believe her foot was caught in a propeller.

Brown was taken to Prince County Hospital. A scuba diver retrieved the foot and took it to the hospital about a half hour later, but doctors were not able to reattach it. The incident is under police investigation.

They must be Canadian to report that "thing on the back of the boat" as a diving platform. Another good reason to have a cockpit is to put a "wall" between stupid people and the water.
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

2. Re: Another Boating Accident

Hate to be a smartass as I don't remember which side of the fence you fell off to. Is this an example of an "off-topic" thread? I personally don't think so, but many question my judgement on such calls.

To be blount, it was not an accident that involved a Hatteras. It was not caused by a failure in a Detroit Diesel. Maybe the prop she got caught up in was the same as one used on a Hatteras. Yeah, I guess that's it. Sorry I questioned the value of the information.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

Re: Another Boating Accident

Hi Mr. Freebird,
    Not to sound contrary, but I must digress. I feel as though we can all benefit from non Hatteras - safety related issues. Safety and safe boating are key issues here, and paramount to anyones enjoyment of our wonderful sport.
    What could ruin a beautiful day with wonderful boating experiences and great freinds than to get all the way back to your home dock and have someone fall ill or become injured. What a shame that the lady in question,who probably felt as though she were doing her part, succumbed to such a serious injury. Although I do have a personal penchant for handicapped amputees, I would have found myself shaking my index finger at her saying how sorry I was that your own carelesness caused you such a grevous injury. I do hope that the yachtsman's yacht liability policy covered her hospitalization. I think those parameters need to be discussed at length in another thred.
    However that does not relieve the yachtsman of fault for not personally walking all guests and crew through proper embarkation / dis embarkation procedure. I am sure that any knowledgable owner / captain sits everyone down before leaving the dock and explains the procedures including locking through, safe navigation / rules of the road / course plotting, and evening dress protocol. I also think ,at a later date, that we should touch on proper flag etiquette. At my yacht club, it is common courtesy to fly the dinner pennant from five p.m. till sunset. Upon running the tender to the club for evening cocktails the responsibilty rests on the mate to make sure that the owners personal "absent ashore" pennant is properly displayed on the starboard spreader and promptly hauled upon his return.
    White shoes,slacks and a blue blazer with the clubs crest is mandatory as are the guests "visitor" blazer, but that will also be left for further dicussion as time allows.
    I really did not mean to fall off topic here as we were discussing safety responsibilities. Above informing the crew and guests about the Lock traffic control lights and sound signals, I find myself re-iterating the rules for a safe and memorable lock through. Keep your hands, feet, fingers and toes inside the edge of the gunwale. Everyone on deck must have on a USCG type III personal flotation device. Although whistles and strobes on the PFD are not required, I think it is only smart to have them in the event that a member should fall overboard after dark. Deck assignments include a crew member forward and a crew member aft to handle lines, with a possible third to handle a gaff. You must instruct them to never secure a line while locking through, rather make a loose turn around a bollard or belaying device in the event the line becomes fouled. This is especially important when locking "down". When everyone is prepared and in position, the mate distributes sharp folding lock blade knives to the deck personell in the event a fouled line needs to be parted. I also prefer to keep a crew member at the ready in the cockpit with a hatchet if a fouled line is unable to be cut in a hurry, or to part a fouled line to a rafted off vessel. One can never be too prepared.
    Inasmuch as I hate to be brief, my manservant has rung the "high tea" bell and I dont even have my afternoon tea ensemble ready. I must go for the moment, wishing everyone a safe and prosperous day. Dont forget to instruct the deck watch that all lines are to be faked down and not coiled!!
    Enjoy the rest of the posts here lads! Mr. Stephan

4. Re: Another Boating Accident

Quote Originally Posted by FREEBIRD
    Is this an example of an "off-topic" thread? I personally don't think so
    Hey Guys, sorry to be in a pissy mood today. I've heard two months worth of whining in 24 hours between my wife and some schoolkids on here who shall remain nameless. Sorry I took it out on you.

Please note the above referenced original reply. I don't think this type of thread is "off-topic". It sends a message that we can hopefully learn from as to avoid a similar tragedy involving one of the membership or their family.

I guess I'm just tired of a select few who seem to want to question everything these days as to the validity of the information being offered by other members. IMHO anything discussed between two or more Hatt owners is Hatt related. If we didn't have a Hatt, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I hope I have made my point more clearly than I did earlier when I responded to this thread. Are we on the same page now?
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com

we all learn from other's errors, regardless of who is at the wheel of what kind of boat they are opperating.

boat related topic is good for this forum, chit chat for the new forum once it is set up

no one should be allowed on the swim platform while the engines are running, or at least in gear. it's simple common sense.

problem is that too many boaters can't handle their own boats without having an army of guests pushing, shoving, fending off, jumping and running around... a few months ago, I saw a women tumble off the bow of a 35 express after she tried to climb over the bow rail because Mr was uncapable of getting the boat alongside the dock on a calm day. I really though her head had slammed into the concrete, lucklily she didn't.. must have been by an inch.

PS... nothign wrong with boating safety threads although they will eventually belong in the new forum...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

7. Re: Another Boating Accident

Pascal, I couldn't have said it better myself. It would have just been with a different accent.

It's a shame that things like this have to happen, because they don't have to happen. Thus my argument for requiring a boat operator to demonstrate they have proper training and the ability to operate their boat safely for their own safety, the safety of their crew, and the safety of any of us who may be in the same stretch of water. Yes I'm referring to the L word.

Hope this didn't take things off course.

I'm sorry for the woman who lost her foot. I think we all benefit when we hear tradgic boating stories like this one. Guess we don't know if she had on a life jacket or not. Anyone on a swim platform should be wearing a life jacket (and yes, really should not be there at all when engines are running).

Though I would bet that 30' er had to be a cockpit type of vessel boaters need to learn to plan ahead very thoroughly before docking, and have all lines and fenders ready. (the lines should be more than 10' long and heavier than 3/8" too).

Hey Freebird, you are at your best when you are torced!!!

Capt'n Bill

Quote Originally Posted by FREEBIRD
    It's a shame that things like this have to happen, because they don't have to happen. Thus my argument for requiring a boat operator to demonstrate they have proper training and the ability to operate their boat safely for their own safety, the safety of their crew, and the safety of any of us who may be in the same stretch of water. Yes I'm referring to the L word.
    I KNOW you're talking about the "L" word, and if there are two recurring themes you fall back on consistently, it's a) BLOWboat fantasies, and b) boater licensing. Stop being a nanny, or no marina-hopping for you on Wednesday!
    -- Paul

10. Re: Another Boating Accident

Quote Originally Posted by (Nobody You Know)

Hey Freebird, you are at your best when you are torced!!!

Capt'n Bill
    Torced?