Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Dock Space WPB-FTL

IS Freebird getting its motor work yet. I would think that is a few weeks at the least.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

2. Re: Dock Space WPB-FTL

Quote Originally Posted by Angela
    I can inquire, but you need to be ready first.

Ask aweigh! My sliplord will refund any unused portion of the slip fee I prepaid. I knew you wanted me!

Seriously, I will prove to be an asset to anyone who takes me into their good graces. I'm still running on one engine, but I hope to remedy that within the next 30 days. If not, running on one engine aint no big deal.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

3. Re: Dock Space WPB-FTL

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt
    IS Freebird getting its motor work yet. I would think that is a few weeks at the least.
    She's still a single-screwed condo. I hope to have her up and running before making a trip east, but as I told Ang, she'll make it on one engine just fine. Maybe then I can find someone to fix her in Lauderdale or wherever the heck I end up. I'll just run Yacht Channel where I have plenty of room to roam.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com

It would be worth making the trip around to the SE to get Ron "Rocking Ron" Weaver over at Marine Diesel to work on her. He's the best around.
    -- Paul

5. Re: Dock Space WPB-FTL

"Rockin Ron" sounds like an acceptable name for a diesel mechanic. My mechanic's name is Ben Dover. That kind of scares me a little bit, especially when I looked into his tool box and saw that 5 gallon can of Kinky Yachting jelly! Find me a marina there "Dave", and I'll look that fellow up.

Old Ron's pretty incredible. Dude broke his back on some kind of massive motor job years ago, and the docs got him wired up enough so that he could walk and talk. Said his days of heavy lifting in boat engine rooms were behind him. He did what a lot of guys in that position would do and got himself retrained to sit behind a desk. I think he lasted about 6 mos. before he went stark raving mad with that.

He wasn't delighted with how his old shop treated him during his ordeal and disability, so he went to one he respected around town and told the owner, "here's the deal. I'll be straight up that I've got bad back probs, but I think I can do this. I'm gonna come to work for you for 4 months at 50% of what you should pay me to prove I can do it. At the end of that, I get full rates and a bonus and we'll all live happily ever after." It was a happy ending. The guy can do Detroits in the dark. He's one of those brilliant brain surgeons who flunked bedside manner training, but who cares? His work is right on. I get along with him fine. Love to get him going about der Deutschmoteurs. He works on all of them, but Detroit's in his blood. I think if you shaved his head you'd find a 12v71 serial number there somewhere.

As for finding you a slip, I've done my heavy lifting, BuckWheat. You've got two more places to check in this general area -- Pier 66 and Bahia Mar. I think you can count on higher $$$ than I found for you, but you really won't know until you call them or bounce off their websites.
    -- Paul

7. Re: Dock Space WPB-FTL

Thanks for all the valuable info there JelloBoy (you're never going to live that one down, I won't let you!). Like the moniker you stuck me with (SkynyrdBoy), you are hereby labeled as JB from now on. I'll follow your leads and keep that ole' boy in mind for my Detroit dismanteling.

I do see one problem with me moving my boat to the east coast. There may not be room for the two of us on the same stretch of water. We might both get kicked out. If it comes down to only one of us leaving, I think the guy with the smaller boat should have to leave first. You're bound to get better mileage than me.

SkynyrdBoy, there's so much wrong with you, where do I begin? But, to the business at hand...

I was actually thinking in a positive frame about you today, and came up with a thought. Probably a good thought, too. You mentioned not liking the scene in North Palm Beach, but have you ever checked out the areas right around the Port of Palm Beach? Specifically Singer Island. Pretty unique spot. Singer is quiet as all getout, which on the surface sounds like purgatory for a JailBIRD like you, but hold on...the Palm Beach water taxi runs you anywhere you want to go where there IS action, and it's quick & convenient. I took my lady up to Sailfish Marina not 3 months ago, and we loved it. It's on the ICW side of Singer I., right immediately to the N of the ship channel. That water comes in with a good current, and it's as clean as it comes. Always fish popping up there, too, if you care. Just clean a fish and watch what happens. Anyway, next to Sailfish on the same side of the island as you head north are 3 more marinas.

OK, want the good part? They're all across from Peanut Island, which on most weekends with fair weather you can safely call "CDR Lite." Really. Ladies, lots of boats, little bit of shock and awe once the beers & shots get flowin...you get the picture. AND, it's very handy to a good international airport for ease of getting in and out.

Don't say I never did anything for you.
    -- Paul

9. Re: Dock Space WPB-FTL

Quote Originally Posted by Paul45c

Don't say I never did anything for you.
    I never did anything for you.

There, I said it, you should have known better than to throw down the gauntlet like that JB. Anything else you "don't" want me to say?

Hey, I remember a little bit about Singer Island, but that was in the late 80's. I've damaged a lot of brain cells since then. Sounds like a cool place though. Maybe I'll check that out when I head over on that side for FLIBS.

I've decided I'll leave early for the show and poke around a little at different places you guys have talked about. There's bound to be some place over there that will feel like home to me and ole FREEBIRD.