Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Need help for 1963 41DC safety net

I have a 1963 41DC that has a great entertaining area aft but my problem is the area between the handrail and the deck. Dogs, children and those friends who drink to much can fall off the boat. I am having difficulty finding a safety net that does not look like I am about to go sponge diving. Anyone have a source for a fabric or tight weave netting that I can attach to my hand rails and at the bottom of the stantions to make a barrier? I would prefer not to use wood or something solid..being in S. Florida it gets hot here. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    Rian

2. Re: Need help for 1963 41DC safety net

From everything I have seen, netting always looks like netting and eventually starts to sag.

I have made different types of these safety barriers using pvc board and or starboard.

Starboard comes in colors, pvc can be painted.

The common dodger board material is priced like gold.

Consider using the other two items . A design can be routed in/through the panels to give that more open look and still provide the safety for those party folks !!

Re: Need help for 1963 41DC safety net

try www.sailrite.com. You will find some "screen-type" material there that I have seen used. You can sew the top and bottom to accept a stainless rod or similar piece and fasten it top and bottom along the way to keep it taught.

K

Re: Need help for 1963 41DC safety net

There are two outdoor fabrics that may be what you are looking for: Textilene, and Phifertex.

Both are vinyl mesh fabrics which can be used outdoors on boats, and left outdoors. They look similar to some window screening materials but are quite a bit stronger, are available in a variety of colors, and last reasonably long given decent care. (years anyway) Air will blow through them, and so will water- they are not wettable, but the mesh makes them non-watertight. There are probably other similar products, but these are the ones I know of. They should do fine for what you are trying to do. (they can also be rolled up when not in use, etc etc)