Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Non Hatteras Boat Question 1966 Seabird

Any of you RO's ever owned or know anything about these old boats. Item in question is a '66 23' Center Console in Middle River, MD that can be had very cheaply. I'm looking for a boat for my 18 year old to crab, fish the bay area in and obviously for not a lot of money. What I know about this boat is they are heavily built, has a 350 inboard, and doesn't go very fast. I don't know anything about the stringers, soft spots, coring, etc... Not much avail. on the net, although there is a website dedicated to these boats. Here's a pic of a restored version of the 21 CC on yachtworld.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1573515/0

Re: Non Hatteras Boat Question 1966 Seabird

According to the pics this looks like it could really be a fun boat as well as a little of a classic for him to enjoy.

Wouldn't cost much to get a surveyor to look at it. (As always, if it checks out ok you will gain some bargaining chips usually beyond the cost of the survey itself).

Hope this works out for the both of you. Keep us posted. And if you buy it show us some pics too.

Capt'n Bill

Is it a straight inboard or an I/O? The I/O is always a weak link on an older boat like that. Even if the boat is cheap, an outdrive rebuild could cost more that she's worth. If she's not I/O, go for it.

Chris Craft built a CC inboard, straight drive in the 70's called a "Cutlass" or "Sportsman" I have seen both names used. I used to own one and it was a great little boat. This is the one I owned.
    Last edited by SeaEric; 10-18-2007 at 12:21 PM.

I think seabird is a Ray hunt design - nice hull

It is a straight inboard, hence the slower speed as I believe it tends to plow a bit as opposed to better performance with a stern drive. Not that there's anything with wrong with that! Eric, exactly what I want to end up with if this boat is a candidate. Thanks.

the boat you gave us a link in yachtworld is a i/o not a inboard.
    brian
    1985 series II 36 convertible
    Palm city,fl

The boat in the link is an example of a Seabird not the boat I'm looking at...For a pic of the boat I'm looking at click below and scroll to 23' Seabird.

http://www.mdpennysaver.com/category...resultcount=10

Wow! If she floats and runs, it sounds like a deal to me! The wiring is definitely not that complicated compared to what we are used to dealing with in our "main" boats.

Good luck with her!

K

ps Other kids are going to be jealous of this.

Yeah, It floats, and runs...Sort Of It has an 80's vintage 350 chevy engine that the previous owner marinized by adding manifolds, risers and fwc. Edelbrock valve covers and intake and a holley 4 barrel carb. Flame arrestor off a Volvo engine. Choke mechanism is locked up so owner started it with a shot of gas into the carb!! Straight inboard with straight no muffler exhausts. Once started engine ran fine, however, throttle linkage was stiff so it was hard to modulate gas. According to present owner boat sank in Isabel a couple years back and filled to the gunnels at which point the lines held her from going completely to the bottom. He hauled it the next day by pumping out, removed engine intake, valve covers, pumped all water out, changed oil, and fired it up. This is why the boat needs rewiring, actually no big deal anyway. It ran, lots and lots of steam out of the exhaust, so I turned it around and headed back. Very slow, engine struggling to push boat along, was told it had a homemade rudder and was apparently an inboard conversion from an I/O a long time ago. Not sure though, no real evidence of that. Anyway, bottom line price was 1,000.00. Not bad if you want to completely restore it, and probably worthwhile for the right person, however, that's not me. Anyway, the fellow that owns it is a great guy, enjoyed meeting him and the ride on a beautiful Sunday on the bay. Hopefully he will sell it soon.

Sounds like the end results of a survey would end up having the seller PAYING you to take it!

Capt'n Bill