Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Charleston SC area cruising?

If I moved our boat to Charleston, is there any "fun" cruising in that area? I apologize if by asking I offend any folks from Charleston but I have no idea what's around there.

Re: Charleston SC area cruising?

Since your original request did not get a local response, maybe my opinion will. I was in Charleston in 5/06 for about 10 days and found the people to be warm, friendly, and helpful. I found the marinas lacking, and there is really no where to go with a larger boat except up or down the ICW which is in miserable shape (shoaled). My opinion on the marinas follows: Ashleys, where I stayed, has sold most all it docks and was less than friendly. They were very blunt that they were not in the transient business and rude to me to the point that I bought fuel elsewhere even though they had the best price by far. The City Marina, just before Ashley's on the ICW south bound, is another large marina, but a little too exposed to the ICW traffic for my taste. I have never stayed there. There is also another marina that is a lease city owned property that is much smaller and also has a little too much exposure for my taste. It is in the heart of Charleston and walking to downtown is an option. The prior two marinas require a shuttle to get downtown. If I were to tie up again in Charleston, I would likely go to the downtown city leased marina. Talked to the operator and he had a customer oriented attitude. That is just my opinion. Hopefully you will get other responses to help you make a decision.

Pete

We go to Charleston at least once a year. Of late, we've stayed at the City Marina and have been quite pleased. They have a breakwater which cuts down on the current which at times can be impressive. If you're so inclined, it's a pleasant jog from there along the "battery" which is the old Charleston waterfront. Neat place.

Wink Re: Charleston SC area cruising?

I've lived in the Charleston area my entire life. Here's my take:

Charleston is a major seaport city (4th or 5th largest in the US). Despite this, the entire Charleston area has ~500,00 population. So, it's certainly not Miami, or San Fran. From my prospective, this is a very good thing. The harbor itself is a natural deep water port created by the meeting point of three major rivers, east to west: The Wando, the Cooper River (properly pronounced Cuppa Rev'u) and the Ashley.

First: No-one boats during the week...this afternoon on a beautiful 84 degree Thursday in September, I ran my boat 17 miles through the harbor and up the mighty Wando River. I passed no more than 6 pleasure boats & 1 ship who were also under way.

Charleston Harbor is similar in size to San Deigo, so there is plenty of water for cruising.
    Note: from the harbor looking back at the skyline at sunset behind the city, you won't see looming sky-scrapers typical of most large coastal cities. You will notice many smaller, more hodge-podge height building tops... you will also notice the dramatic points of numerous tall spires from the myriad of church steeples on the penninsula. Hence the name, the 'Holy City'. They have written books about it...

Oh yea, speaking of tall, connecting Mt. Pleasant to the city of Charleston is the brand-spanking new Ravenel Bridge that has re-defined the city's skyline. It's officially the longest cable-spanned bridge in the USA. It's towers can easily be seen from 10-miles offshore in broad daylight. At night-time, some folks say that it's breathtaking. It is also known affectionally known as the 'Cuz-way'...don't ask.

Charleston is a very historically significant city and it practically revels in it's role in US maritime history (Fort Sumter, the "Bat-tree",aka the Battery, Blackbeards seige, the Confederate submarine Hunley, USS Yorktown, etc). Hence at the very least, there is no shortage of trinkets for sale.

The Harbor entrance is jettyed and very well marked, permitting safe entry/exits year round, regardless of weather. Night-time operation is very popular as a result, just be mindful of the ships and their right-of-way.

The City Marina's new Mega-dock is probably the best place to tie-off to once you arrive. It's situated right where the Ashley River and the ICW meet to form the western part of the harbor and adjacent to the SE Regional office of the US Coast Guard. As such, it's a very safe place to berth. You have arrived and a walk, bike or a cab will get you downtown within minutes. There are 4 other major marina's surrounding the harbor, and 5 additional marinas within an hour's cruising range.

There is only one federally recognized anchorage in the area, so we have the rag-baggers pretty-much contained (until a late afternoon rum-wafted breeze blows, then all bets are off). Shem Creek, east of the Cuppa (Cooper), sports the largest collection of dockside dining...7 different dockable locally-owned restaurants. Remarkably enough...no HOOTERS! Lot's of commercial fishing boat docks lined up there as well...very photogenic area.

Officially, they call our weather "sub-tropical". At one time, I thought I knew what that meant... I would say it's pretty much boat-able weather 9- months out of the year. My hard-core fishing buddies say all 12. There are 3 certifiable yacht clubs, dozens of regatta's and fishing tournaments, both inshore & offshore. Many folks (me included) cruise up or down the waterway (ICW), dropping anchor in the sheltered waters behind the many small coastal inlets between the barrier islands just north and south of Charleston.

I could go on about the city's Southern charm, 'Gone with the Wind', the Gardens, the Inns, restaurants, golf, etc., but I've probably said too much already. Suffice it to say that Charleston is a very cruisable location, as long as you don't have ADHD.

On second thought, I think you should check out Myrtle Beach or Jacksonville.
    Last edited by Calcutta; 09-29-2006 at 12:23 AM.
    Gregg Combos
    AWOL, Inc. www.1866myconex.com

Pete I am responding to your negative comments about the Ashley Marina. I myself have been a loyal customer to the Ashley Marina for years. Through the transition and all they have been nothing but helpful. If you ask me, now that they have upgraded the marina it is even better. New docks, bathrooms, showers, laundry and more. They strive to make the marina a warm open environment and try even harder to have the best prices. If that is not trying to make transients happy I don not know what is. I think many people feel that they do not want transients anymore because they are dockominiums now. But after my own personal experience and talking to many other customers and even the employees there it is the exact oppisite. They now more than ever want transients. The staff has always been friendly and helpful. On the other hand I have been to the City Marina in the past before Ashley and I will never return. The people there are stuck up and plain rude. Since they have added the megadock it may look nice, but there is nothing nice about it. Atleast at Ashley you don't have to walk a mile to land or pay for internet. The people there are so uptight. Anyway, I am sorry that you feel the way you do. Overall Charleston is a beautiful place no matter what, nothing can change that.

Pete I am responding to your negative comments about the Ashley Marina. I myself have been a loyal customer to the Ashley Marina for years. Through the transition and all they have been nothing but helpful. If you ask me, now that they have upgraded the marina it is even better. New docks, bathrooms, showers, laundry and more. They strive to make the marina a warm open environment and try even harder to have the best prices. If that is not trying to make transients happy I don not know what is. I think many people feel that they do not want transients anymore because they are dockominiums now. But after my own personal experience and talking to many other customers and even the employees there it is the exact oppisite. They now more than ever want transients. The staff has always been friendly and helpful. On the other hand I have been to the City Marina in the past before Ashley and I will never return. The people there are stuck up and plain rude. Since they have added the megadock it may look nice, but there is nothing nice about it. Atleast at Ashley you don't have to walk a mile to land. The people there are so uptight. Anyway, I am sorry that you feel the way you do. Overall Charleston is a beautiful place no matter where you stay, nothing can change that.

"Hi Bill,

Thanks for the heads up. All of our crew understand very well that customers come first and that this type of behavior is not acceptable.

You have my word I will look into this as well as meet with everyone to insure they understand how important our customers are and what roll they play in our success.

Thanks again, Jack

Jack Powell
    Atlantic Marina Holdings,LLC
    843.576.2499 office
    843.697.7334 cell
    jp@atlanticmarinaholdings.com"

Pete,

After reading your thread I contacted Jack Powell, General Manager of the Ashley Marina. The reply above came in at 7:04 this morning! Jack has worked very hard this year to make the (new and renovated) Ashley Marina a first class stop over for transients desiring a clean, comfortable and accomodating stopover accessable to downtown Charleston.

I am a slip owner at Ashley Marina and hence, frequent there with our Hatteras (Nobody You Know). I am very sorry to learn about the less than curtious treatment you received last May. Please let me assert that the rude behavior by staff members you received is a very rare exception. And it is very unfortunate that these things happen (and certainly is not reflective of the genuine hospitality of the "Holly City" either).

John's reply (above post) is right on. The entire length of the front ("T") dock is dedicated to transients on both sides (aprox. 1,080'!). Slip owners like myself benefit financially each time a visitor ties up overnight. Welcome transients! And yes, the entire marina has been renovated to include, what I think, has the nicest bathroom facilities on the east coast.

However, be as it may, I am glad you let this incident be known so that improvements can be addressed - and expediently!

Capt'n Bill

Mike,

after we got side tracked on a worthy concern let me say that there is no better place to keep a boat and cruise. The large and protected harbor is second to none. You can do overnighters from Charleston to Hilton Head, Beaufort, Kiawa, Edisto and even up to the fresh water Lakes Moultrie and Marion. Great cuisine abounds. And lots of good anchorages in the estuaries just south. Also, if you are a nature lover, the area rich with great parks and barrier islands which are wonderful for hiking and exploring. (No I'm not a travel guide ).

The only disappointment I ever had was at Isle of Palms Marina, but nothing serious.

Hope to see you around some day!

Capt'n Bill

So I can not be accused of tossing one in the punch bowl and leaving the party, let me try to update this subject to the current status.

I have exchanged emails with Capt'n Bill and talked with Jack Powell. Both assured me that my experience and the other boats I was travelling with, was atypical of Ashleys. They both also assured me that the marina is most interested in providing an outstanding experience to transients. And BTW, I agree that the facitities are first class.

Having said that, it does not change my unfortunate experience. I was told the owned slip were not available to transients even though many were empty. I was told the slips on the inside of the 1080' face were privately owned and not available to transients when empty. And other inaccurate information that I will not bore you with.

Having talked at length with Jack, I sincerely believe that he will rectify the root cause of my experience. So, the next time I am cruising in the Charleston area I may try Ashleys again to experience the management intended level of service. And if there is anyone reading this who may be wondering if I was requested to "soften" my comments on Ashleys by anyone, the answer is an absolute NO, not in any way, shape, or form. I am just updating the subject from my experience in the last couple of days.

For all that are in business (I am retired), there is a lesson in all of this, as I see it. You can have the best product, best marketing plan, best value, and be the best at everything else, but if every single one of your employees, especially the ones that interface with your customers, isn't 1000% on the same team and game plan, things happen that can toss one in your punch bowl.

Pete Drez
    Last edited by Pete; 10-01-2006 at 09:34 AM.