Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Polyester Resin tacky

Two days after i applied polyester resin to a engine room hatch, it is still tackey. any tricks? Must not have added enough hardner. Any Tricks? Thanks

Re: Polyester Resin tacky

Definitely sounds like not enough hardner. What is the temp where you are at? I don't know if this is a sound way of doing it or not, but I've had this happen before on smaller projects and simply mixed up more resin with sufficient hardner and put on another coat....The additional activator helped cure the resin underneath it.

depends on what type of resin. laminating resin stays tacky. polyester does not get hard unless wax is added.

You need to add wax ( yes wax) to the last layer of laminate resin as the agent to cause it to dry completely. Grind it lightly and get the wax addative or a finish (waxed) resin and lightly coat the area and it will be fine. Less hardner (as you suspectthe problem to be) is actually OK and will allow the resin more cure time causing a stronger end product. Just dont build up alot on that last overcoating or it will become brittle.

Sometimes you can use a heat gun to active the Hardner. This has the posibility of making it briddle, but you can give it a try, just dont give it too much heat.
    Pat Bustle
    Palmetto, Florida
    1984 38 Topaz Express "Aranmore"
    Broker, United Yacht Sales
    Visit My Website

You can use PVA spray over it and get it to harden. Left to the oxygen in the atmosphere it will stay tacky. PVA is polyvinylalcohol. Most places that supply fibreglass stuff have it. It is not an incorrect mix that did this.....Pat

Is there any material that was added or did you just coat it with resin???
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Poly resin does that whereas epoxy does not. IMHO West System is eaisier to work with but is more expensive

If the resin is old it will not harden. Did you use old or opened resin? if so that may be your problem

10. Re: Polyester Resin tacky

you have to use waxed resin for the final coat of resin or use something to cover the resin, like wax paper to keep the mek from evaporating from the surface and leaving the surface tacky.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com