Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Re: Blue Note repower thread

jim,

i predict you sell a bike or two and redo the cockpit too :-)
    chris maroney
    1974 36c
    stuart, fl

Well, you're half right, Chris. There's a guy coming to pick up the Norton Commando Sunday, the one Mike P should have bought except we thought it was sold. And anyway Mike got another Norton at least as nice. Plus he bought it in Iowa and we all know that's a depressed area and they need the $$$ out there.

I am not likely to redo the cockpit. What I am likely to do is just change out the engines, run the boat and get the warranties into effect, and then maybe look at a set of ZF or Veem wheels. Yes there are a few cosmetic issues, but it would be unreasonable for me to ask them to do that as well when they are helping me out of a difficult situation. I'll leave that for later.

With regard to ZMI, I prefer to think that they were just not real smart about this whole thing. They have worked hard to build a reputation, everyone makes a mistake now and then (yes, me too, and mine hurt worse and longer), and I hope the story will have a happy ending. Besides, they might have turned her into a trawler. I could have gotten the boat back with two 100 horse Luggers, dry stack exhausts, a Portuguese bridge, and flopperstoppers. Narrow escape...

One motorcycle left, folks: 1975 BMW R90S in very nice shape with 13,000 miles, in Daytona Orange, the color of choice. Randy? are you listening?

Gosh, I have 1.5 ZFs, and troll at idle on one motor a lot (other in neutral). I have water cooled packing glands (Gortex), with cross over, and have not had any issues (so far). Never thought about hurting the trans. Guess I need to check with ZF. Has anyone done that? Regards, Bob K

4. Re: Blue Note repower thread

If the other engine is running but in neutral its fine.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Minor update, possibly of interest: Blue Note is STILL in Virginia, truck due next week, I hope, for her overland journey to High Point. However, today I paid the balance of the engine bill. Because the engine dealer is in one state and the delivery is to another (NC), substantial $$$ was saved. This is worth keeping in mind if you are looking at a repower. You have to pay to truck the engines somewhere anyway, and the distance appears not to affect the shipping charges very much.

So, do all boats get trucked to Tom?

7. Re: Blue Note repower thread

Yep unless you have a really big helicopter to make an air drop a big truck is the only way to get a yacht to High Point.

Kuz, if you have 220 series ZFs they can free wheel all day (engine on or off) without issue. Most other ZF gears can as well, just check your owners manual and there is a statement about it in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis
    If the other engine is running but in neutral its fine.
    Ah, but Karl, the usual reason that you are running on one engine is that the other is not capable of consuming fuel and converting it to horsepower. Except for trolling, most single engine operation is because of a failure. The engine really only runs an oil pump in the transmission until the clutches engage. This pump is also used to lubricate the gears and bearings in the back of the transmission. If the engine is not running and the prop shaft is turning, you are spinning all the parts in the back half of the tranny without lubrication. You need to make a device to stop the shaft from turning. (I know you know all this Karl, I was just grabbing your thread to make others aware.)
    The neatest and very easy to make device starts with a 2 foot length of 3/4" oak about 4" wide. You hole saw a hole equal to your shaft diameter then table saw the board through the middle of your hole. Now sink a stud through each side of the hole and put washers and wing nuts to clamp the cut board back together. It resembles the gallows of old days. Now the hole isn't quite round and when this device is clamped with your shaft in the hole, the board will rest on the hull and the shaft won't turn. Should you forget it is on there,(I have done this), you will remember when you smell burning wood, but it won't hurt anything but your ego.

Hmmm - that's an excellent idea. I did the "big wrench on a coupling bolt" thing. It worked OK but I didn't like it all that well. Your wood device sounds much safer - especially if you forget it's there!

Hate to hi-jack Jim's thread but - Great device Maynard sounds like I need to build one. I have gasers (454's) with Borg Warner transmissions. I've been trolling for 5 years with the non-running engine in gear, per the advice of my marina mechanic. Even in gear the shaft from non-running engine turns slowly. Are Borgs somehow different or am a slowly buring up my transmission?