Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Transient space in S. Fla?

I'm taking a diesel class at DDA in Ft. Lauderdale the week after Thanksgiving and am toying with the idea of going by boat, but I'm not sure about the difficulty of finding a place to tie up for the week I'm there....

any suggestions?

Rick

Re: Transient space in S. Fla?

Bahia Mar almost always has some very nice transient slips available, but they're proud of them. You may not find a nicer facility anywhere, though, and it's in the premier location in the city. Not sure where you're looking to be, exactly, whether you'll be renting a car, etc. I can't think of anyplace to stay going north of that Bahia Mar area until you come to my neck of the woods, which is Lighthouse Point in the north end of the county. There's a marina right around the corner from me that almost always has a few transient slips. Probably about 2/3 the cost of Bahia Mar. The plus is that you'd only be about 1 minute from Hillsborough Inlet and their fuel is pretty reasonable.
    -- Paul

Thanks for the info Paul, I'll be renting a car for sure, and if we do this, I'll be bringing the family along...my concern was mainly availability with what I've read here about slips being few and far between...

We aren't a picky bunch, but since the kids will be along (young) and we will be doing it as an adventure/vacation, nice amenities could be a plus, but not necessary.

Bahia Mar would be cool, since I'd have to get a pic of slip F-18, and be on the lookout for a 50 ft. houseboat

PS Since we'd have a car (or two), staying north of Lauderdale is certainly an option, but having only been as far South as Stuart (by boat) I'd rely on recommendations from you good folks as where to hole up.
    Last edited by Rickysa; 09-18-2006 at 02:35 PM.

With family aboard, Bahia Mar would be a good option as its just across the street from the beach. The shops on Las Olas are even walkable if you wanted to. That would be my first choice.

transient slips are not a problem around here, except for special week ends like the boat shows, etc...

what kind of course are you taking at DD?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Sounds like Bahia Mar it is!

Pascal...it's a marine x92 "owners" class...they used to have a course description on their website which now has gone missing. In speaking with them, it's a basic hands-on class, although they have more advanced classes.

7. Re: Transient space in S. Fla?

Quote Originally Posted by Rickysa
    I'm taking a diesel class at DDA in Ft. Lauderdale the week after Thanksgiving and am toying with the idea of going by boat, but I'm not sure about the difficulty of finding a place to tie up for the week I'm there....

any suggestions?

Rick
    Hey Rick,

Let me know if you make that trip by land or by sea especially if you pass that DDA class! If we miss each other on my trip to NC next month, maybe you can bring a load of 'cue with ya!

Too bad you can't come a little earlier and get in on the Columbus Day thing with the rest of us (assuming the other guys don't hide when they see me coming!).
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

We've got a slip reserved at Bahia Mar for the week, now to plan the itinerary (fun part)...I'd welcome any recommendations for marinas on the way from ya'll that have made the trip. I've lost my notes from our trip to Stuart...but I remember a part of N. Fla that you can get stuck in the ditch for a loooooooong time (bad)...we will try to run offshore as much as possible and hug the beach in Fla...

So, from Charleston south, what say you??

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric
    With family aboard, Bahia Mar would be a good option as its just across the street from the beach. The shops on Las Olas are even walkable if you wanted to. That would be my first choice.
    Yeah, that would be my first choice, too, especially if kids are coming. It's a real pretty spot, you're only about a 10 minute slow cruise north of Port Everglades inlet, and everything is nearby. Don't let your wife shop Las Olas unattended and with credit cards in hand!! You might not have fuel money for the trip home!
    -- Paul