Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Re: Eliott Key get together Columbus Day Regatta

After seeing your picture, captbuddy, first mate & BeachNut would love to be there with the bunch but it would take a long time just to get there from Panama City. I know you will have a great time. Really looks like a blast.
    captbuddy

There are only two things to say about that picture, Pascal:

1) holy crapballs! that's a buttload of boats. looks like the sandbar off Holiday Isle in Islamorada on Memorial Day weekend;
    2) looks like a PAR-TAY south Florida-style!

Though I've never taken in the Regatta, I've cruised through that area many times, and Pascal is right on about the water and setting being just beautiful. Good times are coming!
    -- Paul

One thing I thought I would bring up the first time I was down at Elliot Key for a weekend I had just got the boat and it came with one of the crappy plow anchors and we had a cold front came ( March ) by with 20knt winds and the bottom is kinda hard with some grass but I let out 200ft of chain and gently bumped the throtle to easy the anchor in but no luck , I now have a monster danforth my favorite and not aluminum the heavier the better. also had some wag the tail going on in the wind it was hard but winds should be nice in October but always be ready for tide change with all the Searays / Bayliners out there I've seen 200 boats shift in a party like that it looked like a cluster #$%ck with near 1000 I'd watch the tide table wind changes closely
    ps nice picture Pascal
    CARL GUZMAN Worrying is interest on a problem that has not yet occurred
    2002 Endeavour Catamaran 44
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

holding isnt' good at elliot, especially close to shore. it's a thin layer ofsand over hard coral, when your anchor grabs it litterally holds by the tip of the flukes... but it's not an issue at this time of the year, 100 of chain usually makes it hold pretty well. in winter when cold fronts start moving thr, yes it can be exposed and tricky.

tides are not an issue at all since there is no tidal flow there.

i've been thruout many places in the keys, all the way to bahia honda, and have not find water as clear as eliott... when anchored in 5 or 6' you can see the bottom just like you do in the bahamas.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

After reading all the threads sounds like fun for everyone. Paul 45C I wrote you a email didnot read all the threads let me know if your going Sat and Sunday sounds great maybe we can raft up together.

Well I'll bring the grapling too just incase. when I anchor I realy rather relax, parking on the outside maybe better Well I'll look for you guys when I get there
    NAPLES, FLORIDA

How about if we come up with a way point to focus on, understanding we'll be close to it if not on top of it.
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

8. Re: Eliott Key get together Columbus Day Regatta

Quote Originally Posted by egaito
    How about if we come up with a way point to focus on, understanding we'll be close to it if not on top of it.
    That sounds like the best idea yet. Hey Pascal, get us a LAT/LON for a good spot and post it for us, would you?
    Last edited by FREEBIRD; 09-19-2006 at 07:52 AM.
    1974 58TC "Freebird", 1965 41DC "Nancy Cay", For Sale - Click HERE for info - sosectn@aol.com
    Randy Register - Kingston, Tennessee - aka Freeebird aka Sparky1
    www.forumlychallengedboaters.com

let's pick a point 1/4 miles south of University dock and 1/4 mile off shore.

on the GE screen shot below, U-dock is visible at the southern end of the beach (near the north end of eliott, it's on your charts). let's try the spot i marked CDR06... 6' at low tide, normally on the edge of the larger group of boats...

Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Very nice Pascal I think we got the right organizer for the trip So I guess I should also expect a dinghy to come out and greet us with champain when we get ther
    NAPLES, FLORIDA